OEC Ti 29W Z52N' IC in Beats Pill is getting heated like anything after connecting charger

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
My Beats pill Bluetooth speakers stopped working suddenly one day. I opened them up. Disconnected the liPo batteries. Then I used new batteries but no luck . Internals have No visible damages as such. But one thing I noticed is whenever I connect micro usb charger the 'OEC ti 29w z52n' ic gets super hot. I don't know what this IC is for. Can anybody tell why is this happening and what could be the possible Solution. I have a fair understanding of amplifiers and electronics.
Link of the pic for reference.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5y9SOyTSfoSZTNNbFR3dGxsVFU/view

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Can you get that datasheet for the part that's overheating?

Something is loading it down or its bad.

Measure each pins resistance to ground. Take copious notes.

On all pins that read a low value of ohms....close to zero, need to be traced to ensure there are no shorts to ground, except the pins that are connected to ground.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Can you get a close-up pick of the corner where the overheated part is ... Both sides of the board using indirect lighting and no flash?

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
Can you get that datasheet for the part that's overheating?

Something is loading it down or its bad.

Measure each pins resistance to ground. Take copious notes.

On all pins that read a low value of ohms....close to zero, need to be traced to ensure there are no shorts to ground, except the pins that are connected to ground.
I am unable to find the datasheet of this part "OEC Ti 29W Z52N".. Can you help me find it. I am attaching a pic from a different angle. the part "OEC Ti 29W Z52N" is encircled in Red
IMG_20161003_015401.jpg  original image is belowIMG_20160909_002441.jpg

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
follow the traces of those reading low < 1 ohm to ensure they are connected to the negative wire.

Look at pin 16 again, and ensure it meets the same reading ... not in kiloohms, but in ohms.

If you find the trace going to another component and does not trace back to the negative wire, look closer at that component.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
ok ... I went to https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=beats+pill

I found this picture ...

Beats_by_Dr__Dre_Pill_Bluetooth_Mobile_Speaker_(iSi)_-_Main_PCB_Top.jpg

This certainly can be a Li Battery Charger. Use the attached document to further look around that circuit.

What is the battery voltage at those two wires? I see four wires. I still think your problem is at those connections.

I still don't like that connections .... if you have a Adapter for it ... I would remove those wires at the battery terminal and use the adapter and see if that part still gets HOT.

Attachments

Last edited:

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
ok ... I went to https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=beats+pill

I found this picture ...

View attachment 113614

This certainly can be a Li Battery Charger. Use the attached document to further look around that circuit.

What is the battery voltage at those two wires? I see four wires. I still think your problem is at those connections.

I still don't like that connections .... if you have a Adapter for it ... I would remove those wires at the battery terminal and use the adapter and see if that part still gets HOT.
yes the component oec-ti 29W Z52N still heats after I disconnect the battery and use it on adapter supply only.