Odd/Even numbers counter.

TheSpArK505

Joined Sep 25, 2013
Hello guys.

I need to design a counter that works as (even x=0/odd x=1) numbers counter. I,m having difficulties with state diagram.when I begin at 000,x=0 should I stay at this state and when x=0 should I go to 001. And what about the state after this,is it 001,x=0 I go to 010,when x=1 should I go to 011. Is that correct.

Help me please.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
What does the prompt say? Since you are designing it, it could reasonably do any number of things and still count odd and even.

Does this count up? Down? How many bits (from your example, it looks like 3)? What approach? Synchronous?

You need to be much more specific.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello guys.

I need to design a counter that works as (even x=0/odd x=1) numbers counter. I,m having difficulties with state diagram.when I begin at 000,x=0 should I stay at this state and when x=0 should I go to 001. And what about the state after this,is it 001,x=0 I go to 010,when x=1 should I go to 011. Is that correct.

Help me please.
You need to post your best effort at coming up with a state diagram.

Foe each state, describe what, precisely, being in that state means. A good way to do this is to finish the following statement for each state:

If you tell me that I am in state xxx, then I know yyy about the system.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I am curious? What is "x"? Is it an input to the logic or an output from it?

And what is the three bit value you are showing? Is it the counter value? How does the circuit count? Is there a separate input to tell the circuit to count?

Try defining the obvious state transitions, first. The others may become clearer after that.

For example, if the counter value is 010 and x=0, what is the next state/value of the counter? Does it or does it not make sense to have the next state be 011?

Just trying to some clarity of your problem.