OCR that can count occurrences of each character

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by puppi, Dec 27, 2013.

1. puppi

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 13, 2013
    I am not a programmer, but I'm trying to find a device that can:
    - OCR a sudoku game (before being solved) into text numbers
    - Count the occurrences of each number (before being solved)

You know how when you look at a sudoku game sheet, if you wanted to count how many times each number shows up, it'll take a while in your head.
    Ideally, I want a device that can count them all instantly or in a few seconds, as you OCR the image, or right afterwards. (so doing OCR & then using Excel's counting function would be just too long, right? Unless they all can be done in a few seconds)

I know Google Goggles solves Sudoku, but it doesn't seem to include the "counting" function.

So how do I go about finding something that can do this? I googled to no avail.
    Or do you guys know a more suitable forum for this kinda question?
    Any idea welcome!
    Thanks!!! :)

2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    No such device. You could learn to or hire someone to write an iPhone or Android app.

puppi likes this.
  3. puppi

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks for your reply!
    How long do you think it'd take for a person with zero programming knowledge to write an app like this?
    A few days, weeks, more...? :confused:
    ---
    I see there are apps development companies around but their clients seem to be primarily businesses... so probably a super expensive fee?
    Are there app dev. services catered to individuals that would charge less? Has anyone used one? Around how much...?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013