Obselete part!!!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by rougie, May 28, 2008.

1. rougie

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Hello,

I have been using the M29W160EB70 memory flash chip from st Mcroelectronics and just realized that this part may be obselete. What are my optons, I mean would there be a part that can be substituted where I wouldn't have to modify any circuitry or programmation. Bassically just plug it in and it would work!

All suggestions are appreciated!

Regards
    Rob

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    That would be a best case outcome. It is probably too much to hope for.

3. rougie

Dec 11, 2006
    Hello Papabravo !

According to you, is it likely that hese parts will still be available through st vendors for the next couple of years?

This is so discouraging, I worked so hard to integrate this flash with my PIC. And now I have to start all over....!!! :(

Please get back!

Rob

4. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
  5. rougie

Dec 11, 2006
    Yeah! I too later found out that st flashes have been sold to Numonyx.

Thanks nanovate , you don't know how many of my worries are now solved!

Regards
    Rob

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    What usually happens with obsolete parts is that speculators will snap up the parts left in distribution as the demand drops and the prices are still low. When the EOL announcement comes then they jack the prices and take their profits.

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    So is THAT how NTE does it? :confused:

But they've been into "cloning" other manufacturer's products for years. I have real problems with their "price gouging" and one-way cross-references.

Last year about this time, I was up north visiting my folks. Went to a local electronics store to pick up a few items. Tried to pick up a few LM3914's (linear dot/bar LED drivers) - they didn't have the National Semiconductor version, but they had the NTE1508 - for just over $10 each. :eek:

When I got back home, I ordered a dozen LM3914's from Mouser; even with shipping they were less than a single NTE1508 from that supplier. :D

It pays to be a good shopper.

8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Would you believe that National Semiconductor actually private labels their parts for sale as NTE items?

9. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    That is in the "nearly unbelievable, yet very believable" category.

There isn't much mark-up in "mainstream" IC's. Everyone's making them.

The printed NTE cross-reference book is quite handy for finding alternate parts. The software version - forget it.

10. rougie

Dec 11, 2006
    thanks guys!

Rob

11. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    This is common. Several Mfg will do this if you have sufficient volume (or $$). You can also buy the die and repackage.

12. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I know that in 40 years in this business no engineer has ever specified, and no purchasing agent has ever felt the slightest urge to specify or use an NTE component.