Object Opening Problems

fdugrad

Joined Aug 30, 2010
My office PC has Windows 7 with MS Word 2010 and MS Visio 2003. I have a collection of technical documents written in Word that contain diagrams created in MS Visio. When I right-click the diagram, I am prompted with the option of opening the Visio object. When I open the object, MS Visio gets launched on a separate page and I can modify the diagram.
I used to be able to do that on my home PC, which has Windows XP, Word 2000 and MS Visio 2003. But now, I can’t. I tried removing and re-installing the MS Visio program to no avail. When I try to open the Visio object, I get an MS Word error message that says, “The server application, source file or item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly installed, and that it has not been deleted, moved or renamed.”
Is there any way I can set a path between the two programs so that the Visio object will open from the Word document?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
When at work try saving the sdocumant in an eariler format. We have MSWord 2007 here and it has a save option of "Word 97-2003 format."

That may keep your home version from getting confused.

fdugrad

Joined Aug 30, 2010
I have no problems copying and pasting between the 2 programs. I just want the convenience of opening a Visio drawing from the Word document.
Coincedently, my technical documents are already saved in the Word 97-2003 format. That's because they were all transfered from an older office PC.