O-scope External Input trigger used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I suggest you wait until you have more experience using an oscilloscope.
When you need external triggering you will realize it.
Why on earth would you say something like this? The OP is just trying to learn something. If you don't feel like trying to explain it, then don't respond!

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Tindel

What else do you use the external trigger input for? in your experience
Think of the external trigger just like a third input into your scope that doesn't display on the scope. I just use it when I need to see a couple channels but don't really care for seeing the third signal because I've already looked at it.

I've also used it to trigger 3 scopes at the same time so that I can see 12 channels at once! I didn't want to see the same trigger signal on each scope (wasting 3 channels and forcing me to needing an additional scope.) Triggering 12 signals at once is helpful to see startup / shutdown sequencing.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
I've also used it to trigger 3 scopes at the same time so that I can see 12 channels at once!
So you convert 3 0-scopes into a logic analyzer

But what kind of signal can you use to sync up 3 scopes at the same time?

If you have are measuring time intervals or time duration , time periods

I have 3 scopes at works that are 2 channels only , but a lot of times i need it be like 10 channels to measure time periods of 10 different channels

How can I sync these 3 scopes up please? what kind of sync signal or signal do i need to use for the external trigger input?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Could not be more well said than that. I thought the video made that very clear. A scope is capable of so much more other than ext trigger.

Add a digital scope to your toolset and you get even more toys.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
A clock signal should work in syncing your 3 scopes. But you'll only be able to see 6 total channels if you have 3 scopes that are each 2 channel. But you can sync all three scopes using your clock signal into the external trigger inputs.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So you convert 3 0-scopes into a logic analyzer

But what kind of signal can you use to sync up 3 scopes at the same time?

If you have are measuring time intervals or time duration , time periods

I have 3 scopes at works that are 2 channels only , but a lot of times i need it be like 10 channels to measure time periods of 10 different channels

How can I sync these 3 scopes up please? what kind of sync signal or signal do i need to use for the external trigger input?
This has already been explained ad nauseum. Hook ext trigger of each scope to common trigger and each channel of the scope to each output. With 3 scopes of 2 channels would get 6 channels to monitor.

You need to know what you are triggering off of. You have been given plenty of examples but the possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How about:

A trigger signal is any signal or event that generates a signal that is synchronized with the signal or signals of interest.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
A trigger is what to triggers the sweep on your input channels.
Yes I understand this

I just don't know what to use as a common trigger or what to use as a trigger signal for the external trigger input

Is you know so many, can you please list them so i can learn from it

List some common triggers or common inputs for the external trigger input for the O scope please

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You trigger the scope with whatever is available to trigger the scope that is in sync with the signal you are interested in.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
For example, you are trying to see 20μV noise at 60Hz line frequency.
If your scope does not already have 60Hz trigger option, then apply 60Hz line frequency to the external trigger input.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Why would you want to be looking for noise on a line frequency? its in microvolts why should that matter? it's not doing any harm right
Because I said "noise at line frequency" not "noise on line frequency".

If I am testing an amplifier and the signal in is 20μV and the noise is 20μV @60Hz surely it should matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.