Numbers below 10

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
No trick, decimal.
During a presentation at school my professor told me that all numbers under 10 must be written out. Did he mean One, two, three, negative one and negative five billion one hundred 24 million five hundred thousand seven hundred and 12.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Your professor is talking about a literary/editorial style where it is a convention to write out the words for numbers less than 10, i.e., 0 (zero), 1 (one) etc. up to 9 (nine). For example, "I saw two people," would be preferred to , "I saw 2 people." I suspect, one would take that to mean the absolute value, but it is hard to think of an applicable example of that where another rule would not take precedence.

That other rule is that in mathematical expressions, formulas, units, and other similar situations, numbers are always written as numbers. Thus, 5 + 1 = 6 or 5 - 6 = -1 would not be subject to the convention of writing the names of the numbers.

A third rule to consider relates to the placement of the number in a sentence. "One hundred people attended the party," is preferable to "100 people attended the party." In other words, when the number begins a sentence (except for the exclusions in #2), write it out. Sometimes that gets quite cumbersome, so authors will revise the sentence to avoid writing the number out, such as, "A total of 1,277 people attended..."

BOTTOM LINE: These are editorial conventions. They are not laws. When you write for publication, get the applicable style manual and follow it. The American Chemical Society (ACS) and Council of Bio* Editors (CBE) both have excellent style manuals to which you might want to refer.

John

Edit: Of course, the conventions I mention are neither exhaustive nor universally followed. Here are some additional examples. In legal documents and checks, numbers are often written both ways. Decimals are rarely written out. So, if you want to begin a sentence with the number, 1.01, you should re-write the sentence. One big exception is when writing fractions of a dollar, so $100.25 (a decimal) would be written "one-hundred dollars and 25 cents." And, numbers used to identify subheadings in an outline are not written out.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The original poster could have been a whole lot clearer in asking the question. I sometimes wonder what is being taught when details are being memorized, but the whole purpose of written communication is missed.

John

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
Thanks for the explanation John.

Haha, this question would only confuse engineers and programmers. I bet if I went to another forum, non technical, they would have given me the same response as R!f@@.

I really did not think that this would have been so tricky, sorry for the confusion.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Ironic that a question about writing style was misinterpreted by at least the first two people that read it.
Numbers below ten and two examples of numbers below ten were the OPs concern, until the OP clarified their request in post number five.

I certainly wouldn't fault the first two responders when that ambiguity existed.

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
Numbers below ten and two examples of numbers below ten were the OPs concern, until the OP clarified their request in post number five.

I certainly wouldn't fault the first two responders when that ambiguity existed.
If I was told that both examples are below 10 that would have been enough. I really did not need the writing example, although thanks for it as that was why this question came up.

I did not give too many details because that was all I wanted to know.
The first, -10, was to make sure negative numbers are below 10 and the second, -∞ was to make sure that all negative numbers are below 10.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
If I was told that both examples are below 10 that would have been enough.
You were told that in post number two; which was questioned by another poster that the first two responders didn't clearly understand your inquiry. Your post number five introduced the grammer inquiry.

You never acknowledge your original inquiry was satisfied, thereby leading another poster to think the first two responders were "confused" on your inquiry.

I too, thought the addition of post number five, you amplified your request and not made an additional request; adding to the confusion.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I didn't mean to open a can of worms there. I'm sure we've all seen a few posts that were much more vauge than this one.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Numbers below 10 should not be wearing bikinni's.
No Integcals,numbers below 10 and above 10
are Invisable. So when you see a 10 you put
a plus sign on It. Other wise what you see
Is not In the running,no number plus or minus.
Other words Your grand mother Is Infinity.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Numbers below 10 should not be wearing bikinni's.
No Integcals,numbers below 10 and above 10
are Invisable. So when you see a 10 you put
a plus sign on It. Other wise what you see
Is not In the running,no number plus or minus.
Other words Your grand mother Is Infinity.
Loosewire you have hijacked a serious off-topic that may be useful to others. And your posting has nothing to do with the topic. You should refrain from such activity. If you need attention please start your own thread. No further comments on this will be made from my side on the topic, in this thread.
Thank you

Last edited: