Number of windings means?

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
What's the number of windings represent in a transformer?

For example, 10 windings on primary, 20 windings on secondary according to some website i read months ago, that's 1:2 ratio 5v in 10v out, 1 winding, 2 windings, 5v in 10v out?

100:200 5vin 10vout if this is true? why so many windings? what's the significance between 10 and 20 (1:2) 100:200 1000:2000 ? what does the extra windings represent? and what's the limit? 1billion:2billion better than 1million:2million?...

I understand the ration but number of windings is throwing me there, it's not a project it's just general information to cure my general ignorance :)

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
In a power transformer...that means low frequencies...you use an iron core which will be magnetized, and the magnetism will transfer power to the secondary winding. You must have enough windings in the primary to keep the primary current from running amuck. If you only use 1 turn of primary winding, the power will only melt the wire when you plug it in. You must use enough turns to cause an impedance against the primary voltage, then calculate the secondary turns to get the output voltage you want.

This principle is true at every frequency, but less and less primary turns are required as the frequency increases.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
Weird, I actually replied back to this post thanking you for replying and that you cleared that issue it was annoying me at the back of my mind because it kept coming up... But i posted a reply on Nokia's web browser on Symbian, post failed to show :| I wonder how many others have also failed.

But anyway, thanks again :) I know understand.