Number of people viewing.

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by BR-549, Oct 9, 2014.

1. BR-549

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Hello,
    I did a quick search with no relevant results and I hope I am not repeating a question.

Is the webmaster going to bring back the Number of people viewing feature?

Thanks.

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Where are you referring to? Number of people viewing what? If you are talking about number of forum visitors, there is a relevant statistic on the right of the homepage.

3. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    On the old website....on the forums page.....where it lists all the forums......Beside or either right at the top or bottom of each forum name..............Was a little statement saying.......xxxxx number of people viewing. You use to be able to look at that page and see how many people were viewing each forum.
    I use this page for entry to this site. Thru the day, without logging in, I could snap on this site and with one quick glance I could see how many on each forum. It was the first thing I checked when coming on site. Maybe I'm weird....but I really miss it. I'm not sure how to say it........but it gave a pulse of the whole site. You could see where people were.

Software and microprocessors are by far the most popular. At least it use to be......I don't know now.
    Flee market was the least.

Now of course my reasons are entirely selfish. My eyes are going and I wanted to solicit for some soldering help.
    I knew hardly anybody goes to the flee market..........so without explaining.............I asked a mod where would be the best place to post. And of course he responded.....the flea market.

Gee, if no one has asked about it till now................I guess I was the only one using it.

4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
  5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I know that I, along with others, just hit "New Thread" or "Today's Posts" to see what's new. That way, I can see all posts across all subforums (which is why I sometimes don't realize I stumbled into a given subforum).

Going through each subforum seems tedious and time consuming.

6. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Thank you Georacer.

I was not aware of that thread feature and I had not noticed that list at bottom of the thread.
    If I needed to know who is logged in, I just scroll up and look for green lights. I assume green light means logged in....not on thread. Logged in is as same as on thread for me.

I didn’t think I would have to explain why I wanted those numbers back. As I said I always used the old Forums page as my homepage for this site. Along with the people viewing number for each sub forum, also was listed how many were members and how many were guests. The first thing I noticed was where all the action is. The second thing I noticed was the ratio of members to guests. I was astonished. The correlation of the amount of help given from so few.

This site had helped me several times in the past, without having to make an account.
    I made an account to see or download something...........starting seeing those low ratios on forums that I know about, and decided I needed to start answering some questions.

Those count numbers gave me my motivation and direction.
    So even if it takes time and effort, I lobby you and the other admin types to restore those count numbers.

Thank you.
    Earl

7. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I understood your reasoning the first time, but I also presented you with our reasoning on why such small additions are unlikely, in the link I gave you.

At least, if it makes you feel better, I say that your suggestion is noted but not assigned with a delivery date.