Null detector

gorgondrak

Joined Nov 17, 2014

Voltmeter Impact on Measured Circuit
Chapter 8 - DC Metering Circuits

If the 24 volt battery were higher that the adjustable voltage source wouldn't that pull current through the null detector even it was the same voltage as the voltage across r2 given that the 24 volt battery positive terminal would pull electrons through the adjustable voltage source positive end?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The entire premise of a "null detector" is that there is some voltage that the "adjustable voltage source" can be set to that causes zero current to flow through the "null detector", which is usually a high resistance voltmeter.

In the stated problem, what is the voltage at node1?

What voltage at node2 would make the current through the null detector zero?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
IF the null meter were set to NULL with the 24V battery supply set to 24V and for some reason the 24V battery supply were to increase (or decrease) in voltage, then current would flow through the meter. The direction of current flow would depend upon whether the 24V increased or decreased. The voltage of the adjustable voltage supply on the right side of the null meter would not be 24V in either case, as pointed out by others. To the OP, based upon the resistor values shown, what should the adjustable supply be set for to give a null with 24V from the battery supply?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015

If the 24 volt battery were higher that the adjustable voltage source wouldn't that pull current through the null detector even it was the same voltage as the voltage across r2 given that the 24 volt battery positive terminal would pull electrons through the adjustable voltage source positive end?
Think of the meter as a fixed resistance and the adjustable source as a 'dynamic' drop...

Best regards
HP

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
what is the reason for two batteries? couldnt it be done with only one?
It depends upon what the circuit is for, but a single voltage is used in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit as seen here:

upload_2015-7-17_11-32-46.png

In this circuit the Null point (from point D to point B) is determined solely by the relative resistance values of the 4 resistors and not affected by the voltage applied to the bridge.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Also, to the OP, most NULL meters are what is called ZERO CENTER meters. That mean that with no current through the meter movement, the needle is at the center point of the scale. Many will also have a small mirror positioned on the scale to help eliminate parallax errors.

ataro

Joined Aug 13, 2015

ataro

Joined Aug 13, 2015
Sorry for the jumping of this old thread to back to the top. I've not sured if I can reply to this thread with my question or to open a new thread.

However, my question is about the adjustable voltage source. it is stated here: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-8/voltmeter-impact-measured-circuit/ that in some circuits designs, there is a potentiometer which control on the voltage level applied by the second voltage source. I'm very confused about the direction of the electron flow in this circuit.

To my best understanding, the electrons flow should be like in this photo:
00159.png

So if this is true, how is it possible that it will be zero electrical current from point 1 to point 2?