NPN Circuit with LM386

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by BackyardBrains, Jul 1, 2012.

1. BackyardBrains

Thread Starter Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Attached is the circuit for the wonderful Mini-Audio Amplifier product from Radio Shack: RS product 062620.

I am trying to put a similar amplifier on my circuit board, but am running into terrible feedback at stability issues. I would like to understand this circuit better, but am confused about a few things:

1) Pins 1 and 8 are supposed to set the gain on the LM386. Why does this amplifier have a capacitor between 1 and 5? I have used the LM386 before, but only in it's default state (20x, nothing b/w pins 1 and 8).

2) What is the purpose of the NPN before the input of the LM386? I am trying to get better at analyzing these circuits, but would love some pointers on where to start. Is it a pre-amp? What is the gain? Why is this transistor even needed?

Thanks so much.

Greg

2. BackyardBrains

Thread Starter Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Update. I found a more current schematic. (attached below). It looks more recognizable, pins 1 and 8 handle the gain. But it still has Q1 (NPN) before the NJM386 IC. Are R1 and R2 setting the gain?

Greg

3. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I have built an amplifier with this IC. I followed the schematic in the LM386 datasheet, and it works fairly well. However, when I first assembled it on the solderless breadboard, there was some instability.

Here's the thread, which has a photo and a schematic.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=62896

BackyardBrains likes this.
  4. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    R1 supplies + bias & neg feed back, R2 raises input Z & more neg feed back, R5 adjusts gain between 20 & 200.

5. upand_at_them

May 15, 2010
    Uhh, where is the collector current coming from in that circuit?

And, yes, R1 and R2 are setting the gain for the transistor (acting as a pre-amp).

6. BackyardBrains

Thread Starter Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Thanks for this information on R1/R2. I have been trying to understand the circuit a bit better by modeling it in SPICE (attached). I did see that there was a pre-amp gain, but it wasn't very high (7-10x).

Would the main reason for adding the NPN be to add more gain to the LM386? Or does the NPN provide another function that makes this circuit so stable?

I wish schematics were more descriptive as to why things are there, not just what. it helps when trying to learn how they work. I am trying to develop my own intuition on circuits, but am not quite there yet.