novice with question of 1D10T error potentail

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Seax_Smith, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Seax_Smith

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    May be proving there is such a thing as a stupid question here, or, if not, that I just may be an inquisitive idiot....

I have a very limited understanding of DC circiuts. Have been working my way through the tutorials here as time allows...

Question: is there a way to wire a bunch of LED's to get tehm to sort of pluse/fade from almost white through yellow, through orange to red and back again in sort of a random pattern?

Effect I would like to generate it that of a forge fire being blasted inside an inclosure. (for those who have never seen a forge fire blasted, think BRIGHT fire with realy intence and quick color changes with random osolations in color - uber intense goaling coals).

Would this be a boat load of LEDs and control circiuts or could it be done with a bunch of voltage alterations?

Would like to avoid the flickering some lights on/ some lights off Flickering affect and end up with something that is smooth through the transisition.

thanks much

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    It's not an 1D10T question :) Random can be tricky.

Look at THIS circuit from THIS forum. You would need 3 of those with 3 different LEDs, I guess. White, Yellow and Red. It would still not give you a fading effect, though...

If you can program a PIC you could generate 3 PWMs pass the PWMs through a Low-pass filter which gives you the slowly alternating fading/flickering effects for the three LEDs. But that's not an easy one. A (pseudo)random can be generated by an MCU.

I know it's possible because we used to generate PWMs for three-phase inverters...

3. tom66

May 9, 2009
    I don't know if it's entirely what you want but you can get rainbow colour changing LEDs which cycle between colours of the rainbow as well as white. With a red or orange filter on them they would probably do what you want. I bought a pack of 20 for about £3 one day, they work pretty good, and don't even need a resistor, being perfectly happy on 9V.

4. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Well that's interesting, I'm always glad to find new components... Thanks

5. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Hope this isn't too way out, but I saw an article once on making a hobo camp fire on a model railroad. The fire effect was made with a white light shining thru a small opening. The light was encased in a clear plastic tube, a motor turned the tube around the bulb. The tube was covered in markers of various shades of orange and red.

6. Seax_Smith

Nov 15, 2010
    THanks much. That is pretty much what I am looking for I think, at least from the verbal description. The diagrams I have no chance of understanding currently - way over my head.

Am at the LED series paraelle array, those LM voltage regulator thingies, on/off switches and can deal with simple relays level of things. Have no clue about PICs and PWMs (yet). [first sucessful project was a hood with LED lights for my little 2.5 gallon aquarium with an on/off switch all powered by batteries.] So I think this is way over my head. MAybe an LED 'flash light' should be next, then figure out how to do one in through a color range, then just use a bunch of those to get waht I want.

Was hopeing there would be some simple way to just manipulate power supply the prefabbed LED light, (like roof marker lights for trucks) and get the affect.

End result of the project:

1' tall x 2' long 8" deep box that looks like it has an intense fire somewhere behind it

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  7. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    We had one of those in our fireplace a couple of decades ago. It actually looked quite good and it was a commercial product.

8. Seax_Smith

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks. I think that would work if I was trying to project the light