Notifications

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I mentioned this in the other thread on packing, but e-mail notifications still do not seem to be working.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't have any intentional spam folders on my e-mail. I wonder if it may be related to the DNS change, or maybe what I did to get it changed.

John

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am getting them. But I noticed from post from bill the email came from the webmaster <snip> email. Previous ones came from <snip> at the G Mail account.

So if you have any rules setup, the email might not be landing where you think it should.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have absolutely no rules or blocked senders set up. A similar thing happened in July 2009 that was solved from the forum's end.

John

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I've received one 15 minutes ago, pretty much continual since 1:48am today.

Old gmail address isn't the "from" addy, but now it is the domain name email for return to. That's the only change.

I have a TON of anti-spam software on my mail server and client machines. spamassassin + ORBL on *nix, AVG Spam killer on PC + Thunderbird e-mail client (Firefox produced email client) that also filters out spam. None have gone to a spam folder.

--ETA: I DID update the hosts file on the mailserver box for the new server, it may just be waiting for DNS lag for those not receiving.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Still no notifications.

BTW, the last e-mail notification I got from AAC was yesterday (1/16) at 12:24 AM local time (0524 UTC).

My ISP sets up a webmail default for all of its customers. In my experience whenever there has been a problem with my regular Outlook account receiving messages, they have appeared there. I checked this morning and the aforementioned e-mail is the last one there too.

John

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
As thatoneguy mentioned, this could still be DNS propagation related. I implemented both SPF and DomainKeys, so more mail should actually be hitting peoples inboxes rather than being dropped.

Rob

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is funny, I don't think I've ever gotten a notification from this site on my email. Never needed it though, I'm on so much guess which I would receive first.

Unregistered

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Today's message:
Your account has not been confirmed and is not yet active! To become a registered user on this forum (required for posting or accessing special features) you will need to verify your email address by clicking a special link sent to you in our original welcome email. If you have lost this email, or it never arrived, please go here to request another activation email be sent to you. If you suspect your email address is set wrong, go here and fill the form out so an administrator can fix your account. Also please be sure to disable any spam filters you may have for our website, so that this and all future messages can reach you.
e-mails are still not being received. Spent time with my provider (Cox Communications). Nothing is blocked or blacklisted, according to their technical person.

I can't even view attachments, much less respond. That must be a relief for some of you. ;)

John

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello guest,

If you are looking at a "no permission" error.
This happens as you did not complete the registration yet.
To complete the registration you must use the link in the e-mail sent to you.
This is to confirm the true identity of you.
If you did not recieve an e-mail yet, look in the spam as sometimes the email is caught in the spam.

To have the activation email resent, please visit
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/re...o=requestemail

Bertus

Unregistered

Joined Dec 31, 1969
This is jpanhalt. I had to register as a guest, just to bump the problem I am having getting e-mails from AAC. The registration confirmation does not make it to my e-mail. So, what is the alternative? What progress has been made in finding the route of the problem with my cox.net address?

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't believe it is fixed. I was able to activate by switching to a business e-mail account I have, but I would far rather not use that account for hobby matters. When I switched back to the "hobby" e-mail, I ceased getting e-mails and could not activate. I even set up a second hobby e-mail address and could not activate through that either. I tried a few times going back and forth.

There appears to be something about <name>@cox.net that does not work. Cox says its not on its end, of course. There are no blocks or blacklists that would affect the new DNS number so far as we know. However, notifications stopped abruptly as soon as I switched to the new DNS.

Cox is cable and modem. I have a router that serves printers, etc. On the chance something in my router was not recognizing/blocking it, I went directly from the modem to the PC. That did not cure the problem. Finally, the e-mails to <name>@cox.net are not appearing on the Cox webmail account either. In other words, they are not even getting to my house.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
E-mail problem now appears to be fixed. Wish I knew what the webmaster did to make it work.

John

edit: I will try to remember that fact. There must be other Cox users here too.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Working now. Cox requires an rDNS entry for mail delivery, which I had overlooked. Sending email is tough these days, thanks spammers.

Rob

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Working now. Cox requires an rDNS entry for mail delivery, which I had overlooked. Sending email is tough these days, thanks spammers.

Rob
Yeah, that sucks.

What jrap is referring to is "reverse DNS", when you enter an address, like allaboutcircuits.com, DNS returns the IP, and communication begins.

When a mailserver is receiving mail, mailservers and anti-spam servers will lookup the IP address to see "who owns" it, if the IP addy of the e-mail envelope and the domain name do not match, it is assumed as spam.

I whitelisted the forum name and IP when I saw the IP above, I forgot to mention that, could have saved you guys some time. :(