notch filter design

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by cruzziluv, Jun 1, 2012.

1. cruzziluv

Thread Starter New Member

May 30, 2012
    help on how to design a notch filter with band reject frequency of 20khz

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    How much attenuation at the bottom of the notch?
    How steep are the skirts?
    How much ripple is acceptable in the passband?
    Active or Passive?
    How much power do you need to handle?
    What is the purpose?

cruzziluv likes this.
  3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    10 character minimum.

5. cruzziluv

May 30, 2012
    its a 20khz active notch filter design witha reasonable attunuation level compared to the passband frequency.

6. cruzziluv

May 30, 2012
    could not register

7. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
  8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I do not respond to email requests. I answer in the open forum.
    The help you seek can be obtained via a Google search for "Active Notch Filters". The first five hits have pretty much everything you need.

You still have not articulated your requirements. Is that because you don't have any requirements laid out? I'm just asking.

cruzziluv likes this.
  9. cruzziluv

May 30, 2012
    was not given any specification,all that was given was the 20khz to be rejected. its the first time am working on this, thats why i need help on it. the calculations of resistors and capacitors using the frequency given. want to use the fliege notch topology.

10. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    So follow one of the articles and show us what you get. In real life any manager who gave you such an assignment without requirements would be considered incompetent and a prime candidate for being sacked.

cruzziluv likes this.
  11. cruzziluv

May 30, 2012
    would do just dat

12. cruzziluv

May 30, 2012
    this is what i got after simulating

13. cruzziluv

May 30, 2012
    morning all, i breadboarded and sent a 20khz signal through my circuit from the oscilloscope it looks as if the signal was not there(like thiny ripples) but after calculations found out that the output signal was 16.67khz. Is that ok?

14. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009

If the input was 20kHz the output should be at the same frequency albeit at significantly reduced magnitude. Looking at your earlier post with your proposed circuit design - it does not appear to comply with the arrangement shown here

http://earmark.net/gesr/opamp/notch.htm

for instance.

I would also suggest choosing a different op-amp and using bipolar supply for the op-amps. The amplifier bandwidth is quite critical to the outcome with respect to notch depth.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    cruzziluv likes this.
  15. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    You cannot operate a 741 op amp from a single supply without biasing the inputs at 1/2 the supply voltage. Even then it's unlikely to operate properly with only 6V.

If you want to operate from a single supply it would be best to use an op amp designed for single supply operation such as the rail-to-rail types. But even then you need to bias the input at 1/2 the supply voltage for AC signal input.

16. cruzziluv

May 30, 2012
    thanks alot sir. trying to understand the function of various component in the fliege notch topology. any book or link to help me in understanding the role they play

17. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    A 741 opamp is 44 years old, works poorly or does not work with a supply below 10V and operates poorly above 9kHz.

You need an opamp that works well at 100kHz or higher.

You need to learn about how to bias the input of an opamp that has a single-polarity supply since you have the input at 0V where the input does not work.