not powering off

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys; i have 2 Lenovo thinkcenter M 71 series with Ati 6450 card and i run win 10 .

one of the runs great without issues,and the other one runs fine but it wont shutt down when i click shutdown ,the monitor turns off but tower light and fan keeps running,the only way to turn off completly is to press power buttom on the machine,.but it only happens with win 10, with Ubuntu installed it shutts of right.

I've downloaded lenovo test tool ,and tested hardware and came up with everything ok.

i hate to go back to linux,i would apreciat your help, thanks in advance.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I've been having similar problems with a W10 Dell AllInOne. So have lots of others with my computer and W10 in general. I just finished updating a slew of drivers from Dell, Intel and Nvidia and things are getting better. Look for Lenovo in 'All Apps' to see if they have a 'download center' or some such thing that goes to their website and loads new apps, chipset drivers and BIOS updates as required for your machine. W10 isn't done yet. Dell publishes a bunch of updates every month or so. Maybe Lenovo does too.

So far, the biggest issue with W10 is the shutdown/sleep etc. on lots of platforms. As of today, my problems seem to have been solved. (Set it to sleep every 5 min. Wake it up. Let it sleep again) So far so good.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
I've been having similar problems with a W10 Dell AllInOne. So have lots of others with my computer and W10 in general. I just finished updating a slew of drivers from Dell, Intel and Nvidia and things are getting better. Look for Lenovo in 'All Apps' to see if they have a 'download center' or some such thing that goes to their website and loads new apps, chipset drivers and BIOS updates as required for your machine. W10 isn't done yet. Dell publishes a bunch of updates every month or so. Maybe Lenovo does too.

So far, the biggest issue with W10 is the shutdown/sleep etc. on lots of platforms. As of today, my problems seem to have been solved. (Set it to sleep every 5 min. Wake it up. Let it sleep again) So far so good.
Thanks JohnInTX; but i gave up and re- installed Ubuntu 14.04 on this lenovo and all good,i think it has to do with this lenovo desktop had Win XP when i got it and i installed Ubuntu 14.04, then i've cloned a HDD with win7 from another Lenovo Thinkcenter M 81 motherboard chip-set 65,
since this Lenovo think-center M71 chip-set 61 where i have this shut-down issue uses same drivers as the M-81,so it must be a software incompatibility issue,everything works great with win 10,just doesn't shut-down the conventional way, but by pressing power bottom it does shutdown,
well i don't bother much cause Ubuntu 14.04 is a great OPS and i'm happy with it.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys Update on this shutdown issue,i said that this Lenovo Thinkcenter desktop wouldn't shutdown the normal way in Win 10,but in Linux it would shutdown ok,
this was on Feb 16,well today i went and tried win 10 again just by swapping the hard drive from my other same Lenovo thinkcenter modle# and for my surprise it shuts off ok 8 months later, i guess Win 10 is more and more polished,and since i had updated Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and Ati fglrx is not included with 16.04 and i had no way of adjust over scan on my old lcd tv,now with win 10 there is support for Radeon Software Crimson Edition Graphics Driver Installer for Windows 10 64-Bit