Noob Question on Block Diagram

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by simf14, Apr 29, 2011.

1. simf14

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I am trying to learn some basic electronics to make a circuit using this 511-STEVAL-MKI014V1 output. To test this board's output I would put one lead of a VOM on one of the X,Y,Z output pins and the other lead on common ground correct? Would that be the negativePS pin? Also what does PS and PSR stand for? Thank you
  2. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    I would take PS to mean power supply. No idea on PSR except that if the arrows are correct on the diagram, PSR is a source of 3.3 volts from your devices power supply. Maybe this unit also powers another board.
    You are correct in how to hook up your meter for X,Y, and Z. You should be able to see 3.3v at the PSR connector also.
  3. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Just guessing...
    PSR = Power Supply Regulated
  4. simf14

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 27, 2007
    thank you guys...have a good week.
  5. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    Points out a regular problem. Abbreviations. Undefined sequences of letters tossed out with the assumption everyone knows what is meant is a big show stopper for me, I usally won't read on. Therefore, my suggestion is:

If you use abbreviations that are not 100% obvious to the casual or initiated observer please define them. While some are obvious others can be quite confusing and subjective. To receive clear concise help, the stated problem must be stated clearly in precise, unambiguous language.

I think djsfantasi surmised correctly but had to examine the context i.e. your included diagram. Many times, however, even that is not enough. Give people who want to help a break. Make your problem statement clear.
  6. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I once sat in on an engineering meeting in which a half dozen acronyms were thrown out in the course of a 15 minute presentation by one of the attendees. Some were familiar to me and some were not. As the speaker sat down following his speech, another attendee was heard to mutter that he hated TLAs. The speaker overheard the disgruntled audience member and with his curiosity piqued he asked the muttering attendee what TLA stood for. Without hesitation, the member of the audience blurted out "why TLA stands for Three Letter Abbreviations". The rest of the room burst out in laughter.