Noob doin noob things and prolly makin noob mistakes.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by The JT, Jun 5, 2014.

1. The JT

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to the microelectronics world. Well, in fact, I probably know less than I should.
    Anyways, I was looking around for something cool I make for my wife for our anniversary. I found this http://tobe.nimio.info/project/moodlamp/
    I know this REALLY FREAKIN OLD, but it meets my requirements for something cool my wife would actually like and use. So I buy all the stuff and make all the initial noob blunders, like not knowing I needed a HW and a SW programmer for the PIC. Moving on, I got it all put together doing everything correctly, so I think. Apparently not. When I put power to the 5v rail my RGB led comes on nice and bright. You can see that all 3 diodes are lit. But there is no color change. The switches seem to do nothing. I'm not sure where this has gone wrong. My guess is in the PIC programming. But I don't know. Can you guys assist? Also one other point of note, I used the updated files and schematic that Steve sent to Toon Beerten.
    Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I am guessing you did not build the circuit in breadboard first.

3. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    First off, you need to get acquainted with your PIC and your programmer and the programming software so that you will know whether your PIC is actually properly programmed.

You should probably make the improved version because I see some issues with the original hardware design. The firmware for the improved version is located at the URL below.
    http://tobe.nimio.info/project/moodlamp/rougier.zip

The schematic for the improved version is at the URL below.
    http://tobe.nimio.info/foto/schematic_update.gif

If you are using one of those plastic plug-in breadboards, make sure that the capacitor is plugged right into the pins adjacent to VDD and VSS.

If that doesn't get it working, you might want to contact the author, Toon Beerten and ask for his suggestions. He's going to know a lot more about this than any of us.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  4. The JT

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 5, 2014
    @shteii01 - yes I did lol. I can understand why you say that. But I did use a breadboard.

@DickCappels - You sir are more correct than I first knew. I bought my programmer from eBay. I was cheap with cheap shipping (this was my first area of frustration), as there was no mention of software. So I tried multiple software (free also) solutions with seemingly little success. ic-prog seemed to program but the code would never pass verification. Finally, I contacted the seller and they directed me to their software which programmed and verified like a charm. After a lot more research I determined that this hobby requires A TON of attention to detail that I normally do not posses. I had put the PIC in backwards :(. I righted that error. At this point I found the problem I mentioned in my question. I also ended up finding the solution. This switch I purchased was essentially 6 single SPST switches in the NO state. I verified that with a continuity check. From what I could see in the schematic it appears that the device should be in normal operating mode with all the switches set to open as closing a switch will simply set a path to ground and essentially turn off. This of course was my very wrong opinion. When I flipped all the switches to closed everything started working as designed.
    So thanks a ton for taking the time to help and I hope that if anyone else attempts this that maybe my learning experience will help. I cannot tell you how excited I was that I actually got it working! :D

Thanks again,

5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    And did it meet with wifely approval ;) ?

6. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    You can still experience that feeling when you become an experienced electronics hobbyist.:D

Allen

7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Haha, no $hinola. It never gets old, to flip the switch and see things work as designed.