Noob asking for circuit help

SolidFloyd

Joined Aug 1, 2010
Hi, I'm new here, and total noob when it comes to electronics and circuts..:p
I started a little project making an lift for my PS3 consolle, really it is wery simple, but I need some help designing the circuts. The point of this lift is to make the PS3 rise up from behind my TV when I want to play, then go down and hide when I'm finish playing... :p

The basic idea is to use an DC motor to drive the lift up and down, making it stop at the ends by cutting of the power to the motor (endpoint switches). To start the lift going up or down I want to use only one momentary switch, so it would be like this: Press button once and the lift goes up until it hits the endpoint switch. Press the button again and revers the motor movement to make the lift go down until it hits the lower endpoint switch.

I have made an functional H-bridge that only needs a solid HIGH signal on one terminal (A) to turn the motor cw, and a solid HIGH signal on another terminal (B) to turn the motor ccw. Sending LOW signal stops the motor.

So what I need is an circut that will keep sending a HIGH signal to one terminal (A) untill the lift is at the top. Then when the button is pressed for the second time it will send a HIGH signal to the other terminal (B) untill the lift is at the bottom.....

The way I'm thinking of doing this is by using some AND- gates and some D-flip flops.. Would it be possible to make it work with these components:
http://www.electrokit.se/download/cd4013b.pdf
http://www.electrokit.se/download/cd4082b.pdf

That's component I got ATM, so it would be cool if I could use them...

Maby something like this,:

But only with the components i linked to abowe...

Somebody who would like to help me out?

Sorry for my bad english.. :p

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
One suggestion I can make is to create a timer which will make the lift motors run for say 1.5x to 3x the time needed to run, and then use your limit switches to turn off (inhibit) the timer. You would need two timers to do this and these could send the appropriate signals to the H-bridge.

If you need help designing this circuit let me know, I'll be happy to draw a schematic up. You should probably investigate 555 timers.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Have you got the mechanical portion built? The electronics is easy.

You can buy 555's anywhere. I hope you have the D or P package.

I suspect you will need sensors myself. There will be variations a simple timer can't correct, much like a garage door opener. Microswitches (the most common solution) are both simple and cheap.

The 555 is a pretty versatile chip though, it may still have uses in a project like this.

Last edited: