Non-repetitive peak forward current

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tiptonian, Jun 30, 2010.

1. tiptonian

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Non-repetetive peak forward current for a diode is quoted on datasheets for a square pulse of particular current and time. How should you treat other waveshapes, such as a reverse sawtooth (fast rise, slow decay) such as you get through a blocking diode to charge a capacitor via a resistor from a source with a fast rise time?

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    One option would be to use the equivalent value of

It=\int ^{t}_{0}{i(t)dt}

or maybe ???

I^2t=\int ^{t}_{0}{i(t)^2dt}

for a different waveform.

The latter lends some weighting to the let-through energy concept such as one associates with the rating of semiconductor fuses.

3. The Electrician

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 9, 2007
    The most accurate method is to use the transient thermal impedance model for the diode. See:

http://www.pwrx.com/pwrx/app/zth_underchip_nf.pdf

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/an/AN/AN-7522.pdf

and many other references found by searching for the phrase "transient thermal impedance".

Most rectifier diode spec sheets I've looked at specify the non-repetitive surge with a half-sine waveform.

See the attachments, which also discuss derating for low duty cycle.

4. tiptonian

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions; unfortunately the device (BAS16L, NXP) does not have any transient thermal impedance data. The SPICE approach is interesting if I could find some values to plug into the circuit, perhaps relating to a mechanically similar part. I shall think on that.

5. nomurphy

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 8, 2005
    Note the term "non-repetitive".

In other words, it is the one-time peak current. I would not try to rationalize it as area under the curve for some other waveform type, when used in a practical circuit, but stay well below the spec.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  6. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    For the single non-repetitive current pulse case, a search of the relevant literature might favor the equivalent "integral I squared t" approach rather than transient thermal impedance method.