Noise in a 2 layer PCB

TCOP

Joined Apr 27, 2011
Hi all,
I just made my first homebrew 2 layer PCB and things didn't work as expected.
I tried to shrink an already working circuit of mine which utilizes a 2x16 lcd which is driven by a PCF8574 and I2C. The mcu used is 16F88 on 4mhz. So, first time everything went ok. Then my board did not work and all I was seing was garbage in my LCD. Then it worked again. Then it stopped again..and so on. I thought it might be a timing problem since i used a new HD44780 so i switched to my old LCD to verify it. Nothing happend. I've been desoldering and resoldering my board the last 2 days, trying to find what is wrong, but I can't find it. I've increased all my delay routines and went up to 50ms for sending data and chars to the LCD but I get no difference. I thint that noise is the cause but i can't explaing it since my board will work after 10-15 resets and the same code and circuit works 100% in a one layer PCB. Are there any guidelines about investigating the cause? I found that the PCF returned a wrong output so I decided to change it but nothing. Some times it works properly and sometime i doesn't and is driving me crazy.

TCOP

Joined Apr 27, 2011
ok...I've soldered the decoupling caps straight on the IC's pins to shorten their distance even more. The results are better so i'll change their position on the next prototype, but still not good enough to consider my board stable. Any other recomendations?

TCOP

Joined Apr 27, 2011
sorry for not replying but asking help shouldn't mean to make more effort than what it would need to solve the problem on my own.
Problem fixed now. It turned out that I2C was very sensitive in such a condensed board. I changed the pull up resistors from 10k to 2,2k and everything went back to normal.
This was quite strange though.
What is the reccomended clearance for the ground plane?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
sorry for not replying but asking help shouldn't mean to make more effort than what it would need to solve the problem on my own
I am glad you fixed your problem. But you should know that. As long we are not sitting beside on your work bench. We DO NEED as much information as we can get. And that will say schematics and other relevant information. It does not have to be a computer drawn schematic. You can use a pen and paper scan it, or take a snapshot. But some sort of schematic is essential then asking for help in any electronics forum.