Noise from a back biased NPN junction - how to predict RMS?

Discussion in 'Analog & Mixed-Signal Design' started by pgo1, Jun 27, 2016.

1. pgo1

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    A common way of getting a noise source is to use a back biased NPN junction, but the RMS output varies greatly from transistor to transistor. Does the RMS value depend on any other measurable/predictable value (beta, maybe?)

2. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    See this article on shot noise.

3. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    You can measure it, typically noise is charactarized as x volts a a -3db bandwidth of y Hz. In other words, if you change the bandwidth, you change the RMS noise.

For your reading pleasure, here is a short but informative article on zener noise:
    http://users.cosylab.com/~msekoranja/tmp/04236738.pdf

4. pgo1

Nov 7, 2012
    OK, late reply here - thanks for the help, shot noise and advice on measuring noise received, but what I want to do is to say - if i buy 100 of this particular zener diode (or transistor and use it back biased) what range of noise voltage can I expect between them? They are all different, if I want a type in which the noise varies very little from diode to diode, how do i know which ones to choose? There is no measure of it on the datasheet, so can I infer it from some other measurement that is on the datasheet?

5. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    I doubt the semiconductor processing and testing for those devices controls for that characteristic, and I don't think the noise level can be inferred from anything else on the datasheet; to get repeatable noise voltages I think you'd have to resort to specialized components like noise diodes.

DickCappels likes this.
  6. pgo1

Nov 7, 2012
    hhmm. interesting. thanks for the tip, i'll look into those diodes

7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    More reading

8. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    how about a "noise AGC"?

9. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    I would think a CC source feeding a temp controlled junction device of your choosing would stabilize the noise amplitude sufficiently to allow one to "grade" the device and perform a crude bin sort of multiple devices.

10. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Or a cermet trimmer pot?

11. pgo1

Nov 7, 2012
    yep, these are things I had considered -

grading the devices is time consuming and not really suitable as i will not be assembling this myself. it doesn't really improve on a trimmer which is the current solution.

the noise AGC is - i think - an improvement on the trimmer

12. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    This app note from Linear Tech shows one approach to doing that, in Fig. 17.