Nobsound MX50 SE Amplifier kit.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Meerkat 67, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Meerkat 67

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    I am currently putting this kit together and would like to know if I can substitute a power transistor in a TO3 case for the 2SB817 & 2SD1047 that came with the kit,. I have a heat sink that is already drilled and ready for T03 and would like to use it.. Anyone have any views on this kit.. Thanks \wayne
  2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    I think it's unlikely anyone will have experience with your specific kit, and therefore you'll get more feedback if you provide more detailed information. Do you have a power transistor in mind? Do you have a schematic you can share.

In my opinion, I'd build the kit as intended to verify it's working as specified, and only then consider a modification. What are you gaining by trying to make a substitution?
  3. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    have you noticed the pin spacing on a to220 transistor is the same as on the to3? maybe you could use the existing transistors.
  4. Meerkat 67

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Thanks for then reply. The reason I wanted to make a substitute to the TO3 is that the heat sink I have is already drilled for TO3.. But you are correct, I will build the kit, test it out to make sure it works . Once that is done I will look at subs.. I had the MJ 15022 and MJ 15023 in mind for the subs.. Thank you for the advice, I guess I was getting ahead of myself on this Wayne
  5. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    I would just adapt the heat sink to mount the transistors that come with the kit.
    Transistor substitutions can be problematic, especially in audio amps.
  6. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I think you'll find the B/E pins of a TO220 match something old like a TO66.

There is a TO3P package with the same B/E spacing as the old TO3 metal case.