No Vehicle Electronics?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
depends how you construe "in a vehicle". You could make an electric toothbrush and use it in a vehicle and that would be perfectly alright around here. Now if you try to interface your toothbrush with your car's ECU and have it turn on when RPM>4500, then yes, that is against the rules here. The TOS can be found right under the "post reply button">.
By submitting your post, you agree to our Terms of Service
the important part:
Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
ahh right, ok, so i couldnt post my final year project hardware up here to get opinions on it? doesnt interface with the ecu.. just provides GPS, accelerometers etc with usb interface?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
If it doesn't actually involve modification of the vehicle then it might be alright. sounds like something you would mount on a dashboard, like a heads up display? It's sounds ok in my book, but I'm not a mod.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
is there policy on not helping people with devices/projects for use in a vehicle?
Yes it is so for the moment. You have to this sort of things in other forums. You may dislike or like the automotive topic ban. But Whatever you feel. It is best to keep for your self. The topic is pretty much exhausted so to speak:p. And I do not think we will se any changes in near future

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
yeh HUD kinda thing, im thinking in a DIN slot of a double din or a dashboard mount.. i guess ill have to give it a try when i have the hardware sorted! got to write a software specification first =| could there be a more laborious piece of paper work:(

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
Yes it is so for the moment. You have to this sort of things in other forums. You may dislike or like the automotive topic ban. But Whatever you feel. It is best to keep for your self. The topic is pretty much exhausted so to speak:p. And I do not think we will se any changes in near future
no no dont get me wrong, i wanted to check before i did go bung it up online! :D
dont like the idea of upsetting the mods:D

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
yeh HUD kinda thing, im thinking in a DIN slot of a double din or a dashboard mount.. i guess ill have to give it a try when i have the hardware sorted! got to write a software specification first =| could there be a more laborious piece of paper work:(
Well, I think integrating into the dash makes it a modification, hence banned. If it were something self-contained that stuck to the windshield with a suction cup and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, then it wouldn't be a modification.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If you are in doubt. Do not mention that you will use the thing you make in an automative setting. Then you will have no problem. The head-up dispaly may be a device to project images in a windowpane.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
If you are in doubt. Do not mention that you will use the thing you make in an automative setting. Then you will have no problem. The head-up dispaly may be a device to project images in a windowpane.
yeah, with GPS in case you forget where you left your house.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Right now there is still wiggle room, but not much. My suggestion, if you want to post it bring it up with a mod (and ask whoever to bring it up for discussion). That way there will be no surprises, which is where a lot of hard feelings come up.

Besides the obvious, examples that would not pass muster include lights mounted on the vehicle, even if the power is out of the cigarette lighter. Boom boxes have gotten the boot (pun intended). Anything that goes through the firewall.

Things that might pass muster is armature radio, CBs, where power comes out of the cigarette lighter, most (but not all) things that don't distract the driver while driving and can be removed cleanly.

Problem is, the subject is so wide that there will be someone that comes up with something that will be flagged a no. If you ask in advance and a consensus is reached by the moderators it may be allowed, but if you spring it sudden like then automatic reflexes take over. No one said moderators were perfect.

I would rate myself less so, but I am learning the job. I am also almost as verbose as Wookie, with a lot more off topic. :D And that is saying something.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Is this forum policy? Or what? We have em all over here in Tampa. Every car store will offer to trick it for you. My radio has a dang tv in it with AV inputs. I know the fact obviously you shouldn't be watching tv and driving. But I often like to listen to the race, game, news, or talk tv show while I'm driving. I only look at the screen when I'm at a stop light.

I believe the official law is if the TV is for the driver that it will only turn on when the parking brake is pulled. So its quite easy to bypass.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I do find it odd it violates the TOS messing with the ECU to your car. Many racers do this, and many car enthusiest do this. Its actually pretty mainstream. Whats the purpose of it being against the TOS? Is it to prevent people from killing their cars and blaming the site? Is it illegal? Or is it just a general TOS thing? I'm just curious. Seems like some good work could be done for older cars here.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I believe the official law is if the TV is for the driver that it will only turn on when the parking brake is pulled. So its quite easy to bypass.
Might be state law. I know when I lived in virginia, people there had them (with the parking brake lockout) and north carolina folks as well

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
But here in texas they can only be in the rear. quite funny to see a car driving around with the TV on in the back, nobody sitting back there to see it, and the speakers on the outside of the figgin car so everybody at the stoplight can listen to s**tty music.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Around here theres always some dude watching pron on his rear TV's. I find it hysterically funny but I can imagine a family in a minivan may not think so. What I find really cool is the fan displays they make that they modify to fit on tires. So the rims can display images, clocks, etc..