No PS, what you see in the picture?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ScottWang, May 22, 2016.

1. ScottWang

Thread Starter Moderator

Aug 23, 2012
    No PS, what you see in the picture?
    A place in North of Taiwan.

FarViewAPlace.jpg

(Source of picture, Chinese Version)

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Good Dog.

3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    No PS? That's a new one on me. What does it mean? No power supply?

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    No PS = no PhotoShop, I think. The mountain in the background looks like a dog lying down. The dog's head resembles a retriever type.

John

atferrari and ScottWang like this.
  5. ScottWang

Thread Starter Moderator

Aug 23, 2012
    PB, you look like never use software to draw anything or didn't care about some special photos are true or false on the internet, the meaning of PS just like john mentioned, and when we talking about photos and the PS means PhotoShop, because the PhotoShop is the most famous computer modifying software for Photos, it was so famous, and became the representative of computer software for Photos, but it is also too expensive, so I just use the freeware GIMP, and I downloaded the software yesterday.

6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    PB? That's a new one on me. What does it mean? Peanut Butter?

7. ScottWang

Thread Starter Moderator

Aug 23, 2012
    It just a abbreviation or simple call as someone may call you GT or call me SW, I saw someone call him PB, but I would like to call him PP (PaPa).

8. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Some 40 years ago, (PS did not exist and nobody did care either :)), I spent a full year in an hydrographic survey along a stretch of our Paraná river, well upstream, where the navigation for barges was (is?) conducted using visual references to buoys (where they do exist) but mostly to relevant natural points on both margins. One of them, a small cliff covered with trees and bushes, was known as "la Reina Victoria" (Victoria Queen).

It took lot of imagination to see precisely her image there, just a vague human profile, but all pilots recognized the place and you would not dare to argue on that.

BTW, albeit fat, the dog is there.

PD: just in case, for nitpickers-to-be, PS started around 1987. :p

9. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    PapaBravo is the common way to say "P" "B" phonetically.

John

10. ScottWang

Thread Starter Moderator

Aug 23, 2012
    Modern people more lazy, more less to saying like that, some may say P,B, and if as what you said then when you say "P" "S", you can try how many people will be understand what you mean?

11. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    It's radio talk, and I use it when talking with a millennial who can't/won't enunciate her words. Once you learn the phonetic alphabet, it is easy.
    juliet pappa alpha november hotel alpha lima tango

Willen likes this.
  12. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    It's your basic Alpha Bravo Charlie.:)
    Max.

atferrari likes this.
  13. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    We're using it all the time when we talk on the radio in the Homeguard. When the link is bad, nothing beats spelling names with the phonetic alphabet.

14. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    That's a term I haven't heard for Many decades!
    Shades of "Dad's Army".
    Max.

15. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Norway = Homeguard
    US = National Guard

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Having never been in the military, I hack away at spelling things with, "Alpha, beta, cat, dog, elephant...":D

Willen and GopherT like this.
  17. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Try using opossum for "O"!

John

18. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes! In emergencies, with two or more vessels navigating close to each other, it is good to be clearly understood. If you tune any marine channel you will hear it all the time. Even more with people native in different languages who risk to understand what they hear, differently. Trust me on this.

It is used worldwide and not limited to the military or maritime activity. Look here

19. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    The phonetic alphabet is used to ensure the communications get through properly. I remember doing a long message phonetically on the HF channel.

No ps ... of course I first thought post script, but then I realized that PS may be relegated to the annuls of history.

GopherT likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    This resembles Saddleback mountain west of Santa Ana California. I suppose your Taiwan hill is called, "Sleeping Dog".:D