No links for new members / no posts to old threads

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Would it be possible to have the forum software not allow links in posts to external sites for new members? Seems a simple way to prevent spam. Maybe also restrict attachments to jpg and png so they can't post links in a pdf.

Anyway to restrict posts to old threads? It seems that a few of newer members have nothing better to do than post to ancient threads. Why anyone would revive an old thread is beyond me.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Except the last one, the rest of the restrictions would greatly lower the quality of descriptions for new threads and questions. We all know lacking descriptions are painful matter.

Keep reporting people! We 'll take care of the rest.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This is the first forum I ever posted on. When I was a noobie, I didn't know that necroposting was a bad thing. Not that I didn't have anything better to do, just ignorant.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

On this forum we respect the ownership of a thread to the OP.
Posting to very old thread might lead to confusion.

Also new members (until a postcount of 10 is reached) already have some restrictions.
They can not edit the signature.
They can not delete their posts.

Bertus

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
#12, I was the same way. When I found this site, I went back and read the whole archives bit by bit. And searched, using the search function, for threads that answered my current questions. Did not even think to look at the post dates, just added my questions to the thread. To me what difference is it how old the thread is?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It goes back to ownership of a thread. I have had people object to the concept of thread ownership, and it is extremely unusual, but we can always show a link to an old thread to illustrate a point, but not hijack it. With many forums you loose control of your thread as soon as you release it, it is not owned.

Forums that allow members to edit their posts years when they were posted are extremely rare.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
There are hundreds of threads in just a week. I don't have time to read through all of the current ones. I don't see how anyone can have the time to go back and read old ones, unless of course you are searching for something specific you are looking to solve.

And adding your question to a thread is usually a huge no no. This is true on pretty much any forum going. About the only exception would be to add a question that might help the op clarify their issue.

Certainly adding you question to an old thread should be an obvious breach of etiquette. It is fine to reference an old thread when asking your question. That is the way it should be done.

Engr Mick

Joined Jan 29, 2014
Thanks for information...My first account was disable due to invalid activity...Now i have read all these, and i am Live Now :)