Nixie clock prototype boards for sale, cheap

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by magnet18, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnet18

Thread Starter Senior Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Hey guys,

I recently ordered a prototype batch of nixie clock circuit boards, unfortunately they came with some errors (my fault, bad design) :p

so, I can't actually sell them, but i know you guys on here have no problem doing a little soldering work, and you all helped me design the thing over the years, so I'd be willing to sell the kits to you for as cheap as i can, to the point where i'm making no money just to break even.
    any lower than this and i might as well just burn them in my backyard

$25 for just the boards, supply your own parts
    $99 for an entire kit
    +shipping

it would come with full instructions, including instructions on the flaws and how to fix them

Let me know if you're interested guys, i've got 4 to sell :)

Thanks,
    Rob

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I see that you sorted the technical problem out. That's nice.

One of the issues I have with globalization is that it isn't global enough. It will cost me at about $30 to get the kit, since you 're overseas.

Let alone that I don't really crave a nixie clock and I 'm already spending streams of paperbills for my UAV.

In short, I 'll pass. Thanks.

3. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Yea, shipping to Greece is unfortunately high, I understand

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Have you posted some photos of this project on this site. I am just asking out of curiosity. Kind of hard to keep track of every thread here on AAC:rolleyes:

5. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    I do have some photos somewhere, but not of this board
    here's one of the boards, and a link to the point to point version i made, so you can tell what the tubes themselves look like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BPdEz3aDGY

6. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Apparently $50 wasn't very enticing, i understand that

so, new deal
    $25 plus shipping for just the board, you could probably talk me down to twenty
    all the parts you guys would probably have laying around with the exception of the tubes, it's mostly just resistors and transistors and 40xx chips

unfortunatley i can't lower the complete kit price, the boards i have laying around so any is better than none, the parts i would loose money on if i ordered them though

7. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    It is normal to drop off defective designs at own cost.

I made a LED display PCB with a powerless controller, the design has bugs as well.

I have sold some of the PCBs + display + driver chips for $10.
    They work fine even without controller.

But this is mainly covering cost for the boards, who realistically would work for $2 1/2 hour these days? This is the money I make with these boards.

A Nixie clock is different, this is an item with little practical use- mainly built for fun, hobby purpose, experience and to show off.

So you can charge much higher prices.

Maybe you should mention the problems with the board in the thread.

8. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    the only large problem is that the tube pinout is reversed, meaning that 0 shows 1, 9 shows 2, 8 shows 3, etcetera
    this could easily be fixed by running the resistors for each transistor to a different transistor, which would look sloppy, but could easily be done on the bottom of the board where it would be unseen

also, the signal line from clock output of chip 5 to input of 6 is missing, again, a simple wire on the bottom of the board

one diode needs replaced with a jumper, easy peasy

there's still one logic issue that's confusing me, and that i'm working on, the 413 doesn't seem to be getting 2 hz, but not outputting 1, once i track that down i'll post it's solution also, but at most it would be to scratch of a trace and run a wire

so nothing too major, the numbers is the biggest thing

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  9. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Looks like one TQFP44 controller could do all the stuff- and then the order on the PCB does not matter.

But then the fun using older ICs is gone. Depends if people want a nixie clock just that- or to build a somewhat complex circuit.

With all the problems you listed- it is difficult to sell as kit.
    Patch wires don't look good on PCBs.

I wonder if any of these nixie tubes are still being made freshly, or if all what's available is just old stock.

10. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    found the other issue, just need to basically swap pins 5 and 3 on the 4017, which can easily be done from the bottom, again, not interfering with the function of the clock

for anyone who wants a nixie clock at all, this will be the easiest and cheapest way you will ever get one

11. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    patch wires don't look good, but if they're on the bottom, noone will ever know
    the top stays nice and perfectly pretty, and it's all easy fixes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.