Nintendo GBA as controller

BlackBox

Joined Apr 22, 2007
Hi, this is my first post on this forum and as you have helped many people with their projects i hope you'll manage to help me with mine!

I have a project for my course in Automation and Systems Engineering and i wanted to build a color sensor and an interface for the Nintendo GameBoy Advance to use the data from the sensor and print something on the screen (as hue, saturation and stuff like that). I have built my sensor using two RGB Leds and a photoresistance and the circuit outputs ("should output", i have not built it yet :) ) the hue analogically as a voltage between 0V and 5V.
Then i thought to use a ADC with a Vref of 2.5 to convert it to 8bit digital.

That was the easy part!

Now I am designing the circuit that will be plugged in the GBA. It has to contain some memory, and EEPROM and a RAM for the program to be written on, and some logic that can be used to interface the sensor. The main problem is the interface. I thought i could use the most significan bits of the memory adress sent by the gba to switch between the memory circuit and the sensor controller and then to use that dummy adress to pilot the controller, then i could send back the data from the controller to the GBA as the memory location read. I thought i could fool the GBA to think he was reading a memory location and use that signals to pilot my controller instead.

The problem is that i don't know enough about the GBA memory interface and it's timings... so i would really appreciate some help!

I have no schematic ready yet... only a simple memory card schematic on the internet you could take a look at.

My question is: is it possible to fool the GBA to think he was reading memory when he pilots and reads a sensor instead?

Attachments