NIMH battery charger

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013
Hello there!!

I was thinking of making my Super trickle nimh charger!! Will charging A batt with C/50 for a whole month cause any overcharge? Will C/100 Cause overcharge?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Overcharging with 1/50 C? I doubt it. I charge my cellphone battery with 1/2 C, doesn't even get warm.

Make sure you don't exceed the maximum charging voltage.

From Wiki: "The significant disadvantage of NiMH batteries is the high rate of self-discharge; NiMH batteries lose up to 20% of their charge on the first day and up to 4% per day of storage after that"

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013
I guess you are talking about LI-ion, not NiMH. Accordingg to what i have read, NIMHs are very prone to overcharging, if the charge is not terminated after full charge, unlike liion, Which- the longer you charge, the better.

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013
Sorry for that!!

And now I dont think NIMHs will be oversharged at C/50. Will they??

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
No, C/50 won't overcharge.

C/20 is considered a "trickle charge".

Some batteries, like NiCd, actually respond strangely to a lower charging current. NiMH can go a long time with C/50, though you may not be keeping up with self-discharge depending on battery condition and temperature.

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013
Thank you very much!!

It seems quite awkward for me to ONLY ask help, doesnt it? So I was thinking of helping others and share my knowledge.My question is, How will I understand what new threads are being started and what posts are being given by other people in need?? can you please help me??