NIMH battery charger

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by MMH, Mar 3, 2013.

1. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Hello there!!

I was thinking of making my Super trickle nimh charger!! Will charging A batt with C/50 for a whole month cause any overcharge? Will C/100 Cause overcharge?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I suggest visiting the battery university, and getting the datasheets from the manufacturer for the batteries you are using.

3. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Overcharging with 1/50 C? I doubt it. I charge my cellphone battery with 1/2 C, doesn't even get warm.

Make sure you don't exceed the maximum charging voltage.

From Wiki: "The significant disadvantage of NiMH batteries is the high rate of self-discharge; NiMH batteries lose up to 20% of their charge on the first day and up to 4% per day of storage after that"

absf likes this.
  4. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    I guess you are talking about LI-ion, not NiMH. Accordingg to what i have read, NIMHs are very prone to overcharging, if the charge is not terminated after full charge, unlike liion, Which- the longer you charge, the better.

5. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Li-Ion are NOT allowed to be continuously overcharged. They use a very accurate CV charger to prevent overcharging.

6. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Sorry for that!!

And now I dont think NIMHs will be oversharged at C/50. Will they??

7. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    No, C/50 won't overcharge.

C/20 is considered a "trickle charge".

Some batteries, like NiCd, actually respond strangely to a lower charging current. NiMH can go a long time with C/50, though you may not be keeping up with self-discharge depending on battery condition and temperature.

8. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Thank you very much!!

It seems quite awkward for me to ONLY ask help, doesnt it? So I was thinking of helping others and share my knowledge.My question is, How will I understand what new threads are being started and what posts are being given by other people in need?? can you please help me??

9. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    I think C/50 continuous is OK for most NI-MH, maybe as much as C/40 is OK.

10. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011