NiCd Batterie Tab main purpose?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mag, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Mag

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I'm wondering if anyone could answer the reason/s for tack welding Tabs on NiCad batteries?

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    They make it easier to attach wires to and to assemble packs. With a tab, you don't need to solder directly to the actual battery, which requires a little more skill. Too much heat on the battery will harm it.

John

Mag likes this.
  3. Mag

Feb 16, 2011
    Thank you, have a few more questions please. Is it necessary to have the Tabed batteries when you could just put single NiCd batteries in a rechargeable power tool? What would happen if you did put single NiCd batteries in? Does the Tab have anything to do with keeping the batteries evenly charged?:rolleyes:

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I have not seen a rechargeable power tool that requires only one single NiCd battery. It would not have much power output. You'd really need to have a number of batteries in series to get much use out of it. Some typical cordless drills use 12v, 14.4v or 18v packs which have 10, 12, and 15 cells in them respectively. One fairly common failure mode is where one or more cells start shorting out internally, which leads to overcharging of other cells.

Mag likes this.
  5. Andreas

Jan 26, 2009
    No it is not necessary but this may depend on the receptacle (battery compartment) itself. If the device takes normal batteries (eg; AA or AAA) it will usually have a spring terminal at one end and a flat disc at the other end. Battery receptacles of this type are not designed to hold tab type batteries. As the fellow before you said. Tabbed batteries are designed so that you can easily solder wires to them and connect them in various configurations depending on what voltage and current capabilities you want.
    Maybe you need to clarify exactly it is what you are trying to do. More detail might save time in the long run.

Mag likes this.
  6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Note too that tabbed batteries and non-tabbed batteries may have very slightly different dimensions. The positive terminal on non-tabbed batteries may stick out just a little further than on tabbed batteries. I believe that is to facilitate use in battery holders.

John

Mag likes this.
  7. Mag

Feb 16, 2011
    Sgt., I was referring to NiCd batteries with out Tabs, not just 1 Single batterie. That would be quite odd for a power tool. Thank you for your help.

jpanhalt, Big help with the very slightly different dimensions Thank you!

Andreas, A family member is wanting to convert a Rech. NiCd 2 x 2.4Pk = 4.8 Dremel tool to 4 untabbed AA batteries, and if posable they were also wondering if it could be converted to just 4 every day Dubble AA batteries. I think the every day batteries would be pointless not enough power, but the 4 untabbed AA batteries could work depending on construction of the case they fit in. Like jpanhalt said there are very slightly different dimensions. Thank you!

8. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Be aware of that premade battery packs. May contain safety details like fuses. Both current and thermal fuses. So even if you manage to create your own replacement battery pack for retro fitting. It may be highly unsafe.

Mag likes this.
  9. Mag

Feb 16, 2011
    You are correct, batteries aren't my thing I'm just getting info for a family member, and Thank you, knowledge is power:) How do you get Icons like that? Cute!