NFC, RFID, or....

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by estarski, Sep 27, 2010.

1. estarski

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Hello you amazing community of intellectuals!

I just started a project(and already I need help =p). I am stuck at what currently technology to use. The application is seemingly simple:

I want to build a system that is composed of two objects, both of which have the ability to receive and transmit a signal of maybe 30-40kBs in ≤1second.

The trick is to have these devices only transmit the signal when in very close contact or direct contact; lets say ≤1.5cm.

To make matters worse each object has a certain relatively large area that, at an given point within this area, will be able to detect, transmit or receive to the other objects area.

For the latter requirements I was thinking some type of magnetic strip but Im not sure if thats even compatible with NFC or if magnetic strips can even transmit data of any size. I know they can be used to give a simple (0,1 or on/off) simple by the contact or lack of between the two objects.

To put this into perspective (the best way I can think of without explaining the project because it is very complex) is to imagine you have a sword and shield. I want data from this sword to transmit to the shield every time the sword strikes the shield but only if the sword actually makes contact with the shield or comes very very close to it. To make things a little more difficult there has to be data transfer, if only a few kBs, not just a signal AND the transfer must happen if any part of the sword or shield come in contact with each other.

So there...any suggestions which technology I should utilize? I am very grateful for any advice. Thank you!

2. estarski

Sep 27, 2010
    Could you give a bit more info about yourself? Your company?

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    estarski likes this.
  4. estarski

Sep 27, 2010
    the PDF was extremely informative. Thank you!

Perhaps RFID isn't the right RF technology for my application :confused: