Newby needing gate opener project help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by oldplcguy, Nov 10, 2013.

1. oldplcguy

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    First off I'm new here and was really excited when I found this site. If you guys can help me on my project it will be appreciated and in time I hope I can offer some help to return the favor. Thank You in advance for any and all help on this project.

A little about me,

I used to be a PlC programmer about 12 years ago but because of a car accident I can no longer pursue what was once my passion in life. I haven't touched a PLC or a control center in 12 years and my memory of it is a bit blurry to say the least. My memory of circuits and relays is a bit fuzzy but I think it will come back to me as I complete a couple projects.

The project in question,

I have a small fishing boat that I need to put behind a gate to keep my neighbors and my Home Owners Association happy. My problem is the double swing gate I need to put the boat behind is a manual gate. I also have grass between the concrete sidewalk and the gate I need to get to. I am in a wheelchair and it is very difficult to get through the grass to open the gates. I need to make a power gate that I can open from my van. I tried to use a power gate opener but the only ones that would work and are within my budget mount on the outside of the gate which is not allowed by my Home Owners Association. I know I could probably fight them on this because I am handicapped but I prefer to just come up with a solution that makes everybody happy.

My plan,

I would like to make a gate opener that will be hidden inside the gate. I Already made the gate opener out of 2- 18 volt cordless drill motors, threaded rod, and a 12 volt car door lock actuator to trip the gate latch so I have all of that taken care of. What I need help with is controlling the gates opening and closing function with a wireless controller from about 75 ft. away. I will also need help with opening and closing the gate with relays. I was planning on using a reversing relay and 2 limit switches to tell the relays what position the gate is in and switch it from open to close mode. I think I can use the signal from the "open" relay to trigger the gate latch ( 12 volt car door lock actuator). My way of thinking may be old technology so I am open to any and all suggestions. Again Thank you in advance for your help.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    A couple of suggestions, if you do need wireless control you could look at picking up and cannibalizing one of those small radio controlled cars and replace the steering or other operators with a couple of suitable contact-interlocked relays.
    Two L.S. for the end limits and one relay to operate the latch.
    If it wasn't for needing remote control, you could maybe have wired a trailer socket and backed the car up and plugged it in to the system, the left right signals could have operated the gate open and close.
    Max.

3. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    For wireless you can't begin to build something for less than the $10 on Ebay.
    I bought an assortment of these in various configurations and use them a lot.

4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    You can get a remote control door lock kit - used to upgrade cars with power locks to power remote locks. I modified a 99 camry once. Easy and very hack able for non-automotive applications. You just need a 12 volt source.

These even have rolling code security - at least the one I natal led was secure. If you don't want to wait for ebay, pepboys and maybe Walmart ESD to carry them.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item460757a083&vxp=mtr

5. oldplcguy

Nov 10, 2013
    Wow !!! Thank you for the quick response.

Can I use a step down transformer or another type of voltage limiter to drop my 18 volts to 12 volts ? or do you think the 18 volt unit will tolerate the extra 6 volts ? That door unlock unit looks like a really slick setup and cheap too. Any thoughts on a relay configuration that will help me move forward with this project ? Is there something better than a reversing relay available today ?

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I imagine the power required for the receiver will be very low, so if you want to drop the 18v to 12v a simple zener/resistor/capacitor arrangement should work fine.
    The relays need to be sized for the particular load of the motors.
    Get sufficient contact arrangement in order to electrically interlock them.
    Max.

7. oldplcguy

Nov 10, 2013
    Thank you everybody who responded ... I think I have enough information to make the gates work. The keyless entry system was the answer to my problems. I think I can make everything work from here, If not I will be back to ask more questions. I will also update this thread after I have everything working. It might be a little while so please be patient with me. Thank you again for all of the help.