Alfa145

Joined Nov 26, 2009
Not sure where to post this, but I'm new to the forum. Looks really informative.

Anyways, I'm from South Africa and hope to learn alot from everyone here
:)

Alfa145

Joined Nov 26, 2009
Thank you very much for the welcome:)

I must say, there is so much info/knowledge on here, its rather intimidating. Its really fantastic.

I have worked in the electrical field for some 8 years now, but all heavy current, but have mainly studied lighter current applications.

I think it will be some time before I can contribute to the forum, but in the mean time I shall be doing a lot of reading;)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I must say, there is so much info/knowledge on here, its rather intimidating. Its really fantastic.
Don't feel intimidated, everyone is equal here!

I think it will be some time before I can contribute to the forum, but in the mean time I shall be doing a lot of reading;)
Someone has written in their signature (can't remember who), "the only stupid question is the unasked one" (or something to that effect). No matter how trivial you may think a question is, just ask it.

Dave

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Low current Is use with heavy current to control switching Instruments,
so with all the new equipment you need It all to be good at what you do.
So you need to learn how the curcuits Interact to complete the circle of
knowledge. Sub -stations are shipped In tractor trailers ready to go with
all the bells and whistles,that means with fuel generators. Remember
simple oxidation can prevent current flow on some of the largest motors
and generators,so a roll of emory clothe can be a good friend. A must have
In the tool box. Look forward to your post,I understand you have a lots of
mines in your area.

Alfa145

Joined Nov 26, 2009
Sub -stations are shipped In tractor trailers ready to go with
all the bells and whistles,that means with fuel generators. Remember
simple oxidation can prevent current flow on some of the largest motors
and generators,so a roll of emory clothe can be a good friend. A must have
In the tool box. Look forward to your post,I understand you have a lots of
mines in your area.
Very true, we do actually have several of these mobile substations, however ours are purely multi-ratio transformers with the appropriate switchgear and isolators. We have up to 20MVA transformers in this sort of application.

You are so true in what you say though, all the protection schemes we have on these units are all generally low current devices.

We do have some very big mines here in South Africa, as well as some very large smelter's. I actually work for the company that supplies most the larger mines and most fairly large industry. ( We mainly work from 11kv - 132kv )

But all this aside, I have studied alot of electronics and when I found this website, its really been so informative.

I look forward to hopefully being able to contribute:)