Newbie to Electronics -How to get started?

ShenLun

Joined Jul 23, 2015
Hi

As per the topic title I am a complete newbie to electronics and would like to know where I should start.
There is associate degrees in Australia, at university but I live way to far away and want to know where I should start.

My first thing in mind is to buy the following project and start with it, and I am kinda looking for a similar process where I buy the tools and equipment and learn from the basics up in each area etc.

http://www.pirateselectronics.com/products/pirates-electronics-kit

So this is coming in September and I would like to get a head start, I don't know the difference between a ohmn to a diode etc. I am a disability pensioner with a neurological condition so working full time is not an option any more. My dream would be fixing old gaming systems or something in the repair technician avenue.

So previous to me being made a disability pensioner I was a watchmaker's assistant and have love working with my hands and diagnosing problems and fixing them properly. So watchmakers over here aren't that well trained and just movement exchange a watch's movement rather then repairing it. So I have plenty of time on my hands and want to do this OLD school.

I am looking at getting some basic tools, I already have a bunch of tweezers and pliers etc from my watchmaking days, so I was going to get a multimeter (fluke) and a soldering iron (digital, with variable temperature adjustments) I am guessing this is a good place to start.

Please don't flame me or diss me, Like I said I am new here and I am wanting to know what to buy from the ground up and what sites/books to read through.

Kind Regards
Scott

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Well, I think that is a good place to start. I also have one of those components training kits, it was from R.S. (Made in Taiwan). It also have a small breadboard and includes a booklet with around a hundred lessons.

You can follow the lessons in your kit and ask any question or problem that you encounter playing with the kit. I found it quite interesting though I didn't finish all the lessons.

I am sure you'll enjoy this new hobby as it is educative and rewarding.

BTW Welcome to AAC!

Allen

uwed

Joined Mar 16, 2015
I think this is very good for getting into electronis:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/pmwiki.php?n=Main/ArduinoStarterKit
It is about a controller but you work with many basic components (resistor, diode, capacitor, ...). They assume you don't know anything, so the example book is written in a very easy-to-understand way, and the little projects are quite nice.
In my company I give a power electronics course for scientists with a non-electrical engineering background (like materials, physics, chemistry, programming) and I always recommend this kit (they all like it).

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
There is an amazing book called "Electronics All in one for Dummies"

Extract from the Introduction

Electronics All-in-One For Dummies is a practical reference containing the

most important topics you need to know when you dabble in building your

own electronic circuits. It’s a big book made up of eight smaller ones, which

we call minibooks. Each of these minibooks covers the basics of one key topic

for working with electronics, such as circuit-building techniques, how electronic

components work or using integrated circuits.

I am by no means competent in electronics but this book has helped me lots.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Hi

As per the topic title I am a complete newbie to electronics and would like to know where I should start.
There is associate degrees in Australia, at university but I live way to far away and want to know where I should start.

My first thing in mind is to buy the following project and start with it, and I am kinda looking for a similar process where I buy the tools and equipment and learn from the basics up in each area etc.

http://www.pirateselectronics.com/products/pirates-electronics-kit

So this is coming in September and I would like to get a head start, I don't know the difference between a ohmn to a diode etc. I am a disability pensioner with a neurological condition so working full time is not an option any more. My dream would be fixing old gaming systems or something in the repair technician avenue.

So previous to me being made a disability pensioner I was a watchmaker's assistant and have love working with my hands and diagnosing problems and fixing them properly. So watchmakers over here aren't that well trained and just movement exchange a watch's movement rather then repairing it. So I have plenty of time on my hands and want to do this OLD school.

I am looking at getting some basic tools, I already have a bunch of tweezers and pliers etc from my watchmaking days, so I was going to get a multimeter (fluke) and a soldering iron (digital, with variable temperature adjustments) I am guessing this is a good place to start.

Please don't flame me or diss me, Like I said I am new here and I am wanting to know what to buy from the ground up and what sites/books to read through.

Kind Regards
Scott
You will find as you go along you will get the tools you need. If you explain on this forum what your building and where you have a problem you will get so much good advice.

I found that when ordering components always to buy a few extras and more importantly to keep a list of what I have and kept in a stores type environment. You will be amazed at how fast your stock grows.

Also get old PCB's and practice soldering and desoldering

September is a while away. Mean time you could watch youtube videos where they explain the differences and uses of components and the things you can do with them so you get yourself familiar with things when the kit arrives.
9 out of 10 times you will run into a brick wall when you're working with instruction from anywhere. Its best not to get disheartened, and make full use of forums to get past those issues.

Also what I found helpful is to be curious about how things work. So far it hasn't killed me, just made my knowledge stronger :D

paofanello

Joined Jul 16, 2015
Hi! I don't think that Arduino is a good idea, it is a very beautiful toy, but not recommended to learn electronics.
My opinion: there are two books that you can (or must) read:
1) Make: Electronics. Great book, with so much projects and so practical approach, I think that is what you want.
2)Getting started in electronics. Different approach, so simple but without project.

The link you posted bring to a kit so expensive and with no utility. It's only my opinion.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I wouldn't normally recommend an on-line school but, in your case, it might be appropriate. Some on-line classes are available free if you're not trying to get credit for the class. I've taken several from MIT for my own enrichment.

Electronics kits are okay, but I think you'll learn faster if you have a specific project in mind. The first thing I built was a dual variable power supply. They're cheap now, but they're easy to build and what you learn designing and building will add to your knowledge.

Read, read, read. I read application notes and reliability reports in databooks to increase my knowledge. I don't think many companies are still making them, preferring to put information on-line these days, but they can be found at surplus stores, eBay, etc. I saved a couple dozen or so I had when I was a tech in the late 70's and still use them. Before On-Semi was bought by TI (IIRC), I got a set of databooks on mini-CD's from them.

Brian Griffin

Joined May 17, 2013
Get a small box of electronic components with common values resistor, capacitor, and transistors.

Also, stock up on LEDs, and get a small breadboard power supply with an AC Adapter.

And finally, get a few breadboards too! Many of the EEE students in my work do not have them at all - they should have at least two of these! These breadboards are a good platform to experiment on electronics.

You need a simple multimeter too. Good ones are Sanwa are available online in local retailers.

Reading and experimenting on them will help you understand them even better. :)