Newbie Timer Project help!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by fehlingm, Feb 13, 2013.

1. fehlingm

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Very new to this. I have a need for a one-shot style timer, the outcome i'm searching for is a small handheld device around the size of a credit card maybe up to 1/2" thick. One-shot style operating off whatever voltage is necessary.

I need it to have an adjustable pot for the desired time from button press to activation. The desired activation is 4 series of lights, (red,red,yellow,green) each lighting up one at a time in sequence (1,2,3,4). The max and min range is 1sec~4sec changing with the pot. More than likely I will be between 2.0~2.8sec for the most part.

Nothing extravagant. I race radio control airplanes at around 200mph and we have a verbal count for timing used with an analog stop watch. I want to change this to something a little more managable. Basically there is a pylon 607feet away, when the plane goes around 1 pylon there is a count of "one, two, ready, turn!" Then you should be past the next pylon on turn 607feet away. We use a pilot and a spotter. I already have experimented with great success using a microprocessor in my transmitter I actuate with a button that triggers a timer and vibration. This device will be for my teammate and reinforcement. The time must be adjustable due to head/tailwinds, variance of power from location to location and weather conditions.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have been working with 555 timers with little success so far.

2. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Adding some LEDs to the μC seems to be the obvious answer. Is there some reason that's not feasible?

If that's not possible, you could probably use a 555 with a CD4017 (google LED chaser.)