Newbie struggling with circuit that 'seemed' simple

Discussion in 'Technical Repair' started by markusbydark, Jul 18, 2016.

1. markusbydark

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 18, 2016
    This is the board from our bath at home. As you can see from the first picture, when power is run to the board it lights a few random leds before the on button is even pressed. None of the buttons seem to respond to being pressed including the power. I have tested the resistors and they all seem to be fine. When pressed the switches seem to work as far as their tails (if that makes sense). The connector block appears to be clean.
    When i bridge different negatives on the switches, they set off led that have nothing to do with the switch in question.
    Its almost like something is joining all the different circuits and stopping it from working correctly. I am completely lost.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As i confessed in the title, i am very limited in knowledge. Just looking for any ideas before i get the hammer
    Tia
    Mark

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

It looks like the board you got in your hands is only the control and display board.
    There must more electronics on the other end of the wiring shown.

Bertus

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    You need to know the source of the cables from the connector, do you have a wiring diagram?
    It may take a little reverse engineering of the board.
    Max.

4. markusbydark

Jul 18, 2016
  5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If a reputable make, usually schematics are available, even if just board to board etc.
    Max.

6. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Yes! Early and often! :D

markusbydark likes this.
  7. markusbydark

Jul 18, 2016
    Definatley not reputable! Its a bath out job to get to the main board. This is as far as i can stretch for a photo. They must have designed this to be impossible to get to!
    Do the symptoms i describe sound fixable? I need to weigh up pulling it out and attempting to fix.
    [​IMG]

8. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    I would test the board and all it functions first then move on to the main board.. Also it shouldn't hurt to reflow the solder joints just in case..

9. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Here are the area's of your controller board that you should look at closely.

Circled in RED are two area's that show potential shorts, like a solder bridge on those two runs
    Circled in YELLOW are four areas that may need solder reflow
    Circled in BLUE are two areas where the run may be damaged.

The other attachment is just your main box.

Here is a well known troubleshooting procedure.

sixsteptroubleshooting.png