Newbie request for help

Trevor Rymell

Joined Sep 27, 2014
Hi, Newbie here. I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.

I'm hoping to get some help or advice about how to repair the ballast circuit of my bench magnifier light (here) http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/sacentre/20140926_225250.jpg

It's a no-brand model from an unknown manufacturer in China and looks identical to this one http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/sacentre/BenchMountedMagnifier.jpg. I don't expect the photo will help much.

The store I bought it from earlier this year doesn't sell them anymore and couldn't care less about helping me to get it repaired. I might have just bought a new one if they'd been available.

I'm afraid I'm not very good at fault finding and diagnostics but sometimes I get lucky with guesswork. On this PCB, I can see 2 burned resistors - R2 and R1 (just to the left of the upper SR 6863D). As far as I can tell, the damaged resistors appear to be colour coded red, black, black = 20 Ohms. Assuming someone is familiar with this type of circuit, does that sound right? One side of each resistor is connected to the left leg of the transistor viewed from the front.

I would guess that as well as the burned resistors, the two SR 6863D semiconductors have blown.

Can anyone tell me what the SR 6863Ds are or better still, suggest an equivalent? I've tried Googling for hours but haven't been able to find an information about them. I tried asking at my local electronics store but they didn't recognise the number.

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

Last edited:

Trevor Rymell

Joined Sep 27, 2014
Thanks, Dodgydave
It's worth doing if I can get hold of the 2 semiconductors. If that's impossible then it's a different story. Wouldn't mind just buying one but I don't see anything that would fit in the same place as the original.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have the 1300-5 transistors in a TEC cooler I'm repairing, and I'm replacing them with a part from Mouser, a Fairchild power switching transistor: FJP3305H1TU