Newbie question about transformers

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ranch vermin, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ranch vermin

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2015
    If I put a dc square wave into into a transformer, do i get a sine wave out the other side?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  2. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    An iron-lamination transformer will indeed act as a low pass filter -- however the 'DC' offset will cause both saturation and excessive primary heating...

Best regards
    HP

3. Sinus23

Sep 7, 2013
    Way better answer than mine.

4. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Probably one of the most unhelpful answers I've heard in a long while!

Does the transformer know whether the input is AC or DC if it's a sine wave or square wave?

Frequency dependent I suppose?

5. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I'm sorry you find my response unhelpful...

I shouldn't think non-sentient objects could be said to 'know' anything --- Your statement seems to be a non sequitur?:confused:

As regards wave shaping/frequency dependance:
    In lieu of specifics I assumed and stipulated an iron (lamination) core (and, hence, markedly "frequency dependent") transformer...

Best regards
    HP

6. ranch vermin

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2015
    plumbers revenge.... :(

7. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Hey, @ranch vermin -- Should you likewise find my response 'terse' or otherwise unhelpful - please refine your question and I'll be glad to offer a more comprehensive response:):):)

Very Best Regards
    HP

8. ranch vermin

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2015
    Its ok I did learn thanks - I was just half joking around.

The musical puzzles led me to believe it depends if the square wave is ac or dc?

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  9. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Plumber's revenge? Musical puzzles? --- So, are we talking a video game?:confused: --- Anyway - pleased you got your answer!:)

Best regards
    HP

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Very frequency dependent. I have seen transformers specifically designed to pass square waves inside a 1% precision machine, but they were not iron core. An iron core transformer can be taught to pass a square wave by applying the right capacitance in the right places, and in the right frequency range, but it will not automatically make a sine wave, just a sloppy square wave.

11. ranch vermin

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2015
    Thanks gentlemen, In an ac sine wave case, is signal completely distorted but are peaks preserved through... i dunno maybe ~100 transformers in series? The cause is I have a crazy idea about using transformers as switches on a home from scratch made chipboard computer of wires and nails! (used as solenoid transformers.)

Dirty old rusty piece of poop on a bit of cheap wood - cant wait.

I guess I have to go get my wires and nails to know for sure - I looked it up on youtube didnt find anything useful.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Same answer as my last post. The full moon is tomorrow.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  13. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Any square-wave is AC but if it has any DC offset (average value is not zero), that will tend to saturate the transformer. The DC offset can be nulled by AC coupling the square-wave through a series capacitor.
    How well the transformer transmits the square-wave depends upon the frequency response of the transformer and the frequency of the square-wave, but it will not, in general, convert the square-wave to a sine-wave.

Johnnyv02 likes this.
  14. ranch vermin

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2015
    Sorry guys, NOW I GET IT!

Just because current doesnt pass 0 doesnt mean it isnt alternating, ill remember that for next time instead of confusing the lot of you with my inane gibberish and poor reading of the help provided.

15. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    What does that mean about me? I think I followed along with everyone involved without any confusion.\ whatsoever

(Kermit runs to ask his wife if he has missed any meds lately) :)

16. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    FWIW By way of avoidance of just such confusion the term 'Pulsating DC' is commonly applied to varying 'functions' having offsets preclusive of polarity inversion...

Best regards
    HP :)