newbie, new project.. no idea!!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by danro, Jun 3, 2009.

1. danro

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Hi everyone

This is my first post, I have a project in mind that is currently beyond my skills... that said - how do you learn if you don't push the boundaries?:confused:

I do a fair bit of air rifle shooting and have been making metal targets for a couple of years, however the targets are static - they don't move, as real quarry would.

My project is to create a device that will pivot a target back and forth a few degrees to simulate the bobbing of a pigeon.. for example.
    ie not a liner back and forth, but a semi random movement to prevent calculating the next bob.

I have three questions,

1. Am I in the wrong place? if so, please accept my apologies.
    2. Will the be a seriously advanced task that realistically will be too much?
    3. If I have survived the first two questions... where do I start?:eek:

I've very practically minded, building a kit car from scratch (so handy with tools) and a web designer (so capable of scripting languages etc) and happy with a challenge and steep learning curve!

Any advise greatly received!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post:D

2. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    Use a DC motor with either an H-bridge or a DPDT relay for direction control. A slow pulsing clock will switch a random logic pulse (hi or low) to change direction of the motor. The motor needs to be slow, so you might use a geared DC motor.
  3. danro

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Many thanks for the direction..
    Much appreciated:)

I'm off now to research it and will let you know how I get on or perhaps ,, where I get stuck...:eek:

With best regards

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009