Newbie needs help !

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
If you're uncertain about parts selection and you're ok with ordering from Mouser or Digi-Key online, as opposed to buying locally, I can get you a more specific parts list.

As for the soldering, I wouldn't trust myself to but those pins either! You won't have to. The plan is to connect both wires in that short stretch of vertical trace at number 221, just below the chip. Either scratching off insulation to get to the trace, or probably just popping 221 off and using its top solder pad for the 555 output and using the next solder joint down for the gate input.

There are a few ways to attack it, and it will involve delicate work with a tiny knife, but it won't be as bad as soldering those chip pins!

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Oh, and the other wire on the right is just the continuation of the ground wire. Only needs external connection on one end. Suppose I could've trimmed that last t to a corner for clarity.

Bob Wilmott

Joined Jan 1, 2015
I've been thinking about this, and something's niggling at the back of my mind....

What you've designed, if I understand it correctly, is a repetitive loop at the receiver to make the ding-dong continuous, so when I press the big button on the transmitter, it starts the continuous ding-dong at the receiver.

Will the ding-dong stop when I release the big button on the transmitter, or will it continue even after I release it?

Not necessarily a problem either way. Just curious !

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Yikes! Hope I didn't misunderstand your intent this whole time!

As it currently sits, the ding dong will start repeating when the receiver gets a signal from the transmitter (don't know if that's when transmitter button is pressed our when it's released) and keep going until you press a momentary switch at the receiver.

Does that fit what you had in mind?

Bob Wilmott

Joined Jan 1, 2015
That's absolutely fine, as such, but what was in the back of my mind has now crept to the front...

As mentioned in my very first post, but not since, "What I want is for the transmitter to transmit, and the receiver to ding-dong, continuously (until switched off)." Emphasis added.

With the current design, will the transmitter transmit continuously (until switched off)? I have the feeling that it won't. Is there a simple fix for that?

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Gotcha. In the next several responses after your initial post (including your response in post 9,) I thought we all agreed that it would be better to work on the ringer/receiver end. Since then, I've been working from that understanding.

Is there a reason you want the transmitter to keep going?

Were you actually wanting a press and hold function, where the bell rings as long as the button is being held, and stops when the button is released?

I thought the intent was to have the doorbell pressed a single time, and for that action to result in the doorbell ringing forever, until you intervened by hitting a switch.

If you want the press and hold function, that is very, very different, but may also be possible.

If you want the latter function, looping forever, I don't see the advantage in having the transmitter involved, although that too may be possible.

Bob Wilmott

Joined Jan 1, 2015
I can see what's happened... me saying Yes to working on the bell continuously ringing at the receiver end, and temporarily losing sight of the need for the transmitter to transmit continuously.

What you've designed so far is great and still holds good for the continuous bell. It's fine that when the big button on the transmitter is pressed/released it makes the bell on the receiver ring continuously until a switch on the receiver is hit to stop it ringing. But alongside this there is a need for the transmitter to transmit continuously from when the big button on the transmitter is pressed until stopped by hitting a switch on the transmitter or removing the power source.

By way of analogy, forget for the moment the door and doorbell scenario. Think instead of the key fob remote for opening your car doors as you walk towards it. It doesn't work if you are out of range when you press the remote. You have to be within range then press the remote for the doors to open. Now imagine a remote that you can press while out of range and it then transmits continuously until you enter range, whereupon the doors open.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Cool, I'll take a look at the pics of the transmitter again when I get a chance.

Out of curiosity, why the repeat function? Is your doorbell sometimes out of range and sometimes not? Does the transmitter travel? Are you using this for something else? It's all so intriguing.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hmmm... I can't really make sense of too much of the transmitter circuit, but that may be ok. Probably the easiest, surest solution would be to remove the switch, wire a relay to take its place, and then have a separate 555 circuit pulse the relay on and off, with the 555 circuit having a toggle switch or momentary start and stop switches to control it.

We'd want to do a few tests before messing with the switch, but I think it should be fairly straightforward.

Just to confirm, you intend to add a beefier power supply, right? I think my circuit would drain that little battery pretty quickly.