Newbie needs help with a circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by User77, Nov 27, 2012.

1. User77

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Brand new here, lots of great info on the site! I am trying to build what I thought would be a simple circuit. I am try ing to come up with a way to apply ground to a wire, remove the ground, then re-apply it as a latched. I have 12 volts to trigger the circuit. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

2. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Not sure I follow.... apply ground to a wire (what should happen at that point?), remove the ground (again, what should happen at that point?, then reapply it as a latched (what are you latching?)

If you are talking about latching a relay, for example, by applying a momentary ground, that would clarify a lot.

3. User77

Nov 27, 2012
    I have a 12 volt wire that I need to use to trigger a circuit that will supply a ground output. But the ground output needs to go on/off/on (or ground/open/ground) and stay on until the 12 volt is removed.
    Thanks for any insight you may have.

4. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    What kind of timing is involved. How long are the on/off/ periods before the final ON?

5. User77

Nov 27, 2012
    Can be very fast, or up to a second or two. Timing should not be much of an issue.

6. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    How much current is involved in the output ground? First thought would be to use a couple of NE555 timers daisy-chained and then possibly drive a relay with their output.

7. User77

Nov 27, 2012
    I will try to get more specs, thanks for your help.