Newbie looking for some help

huse0054

Joined Mar 2, 2012
Hi, my name is Matt and I am new to this forum and to electronics. I am looking for some help on a project I am building for my daughter and not sure if this is the correct spot to post.

I am building her name in LEDs and each letter is connected to a simple switch. It will be running on either 16 or 12 volts and each letter will have 15-20 LEDs. 6 letters in total. I have that part figured out.

So my question.... I would like to be able to create a circuit so that when all 6 letters are lit (in no particular order) it triggers something, either a light, dc motor, speaker etc....

Hope that makes sense.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
What are you using for your "simple switch"es? If you haven't already purchased them, using DPST (or DPDT) switches, you can use one pole to switch on your LEDs and run a circuit in series through the other pole. This will only be on when all switches are closed and can drive your motor, etc...

A low tech solution...

Attachments

huse0054

Joined Mar 2, 2012
Thanks for the info on using DPDT switches, however I do already have the switches and many of them are not DP. Anyother solutions that might work? Given what I am trying to accomplish? I am willing to learn about another options that might be more "high-tech". Would using transistors do anything for me here?

Thanks again for any input.

huse0054

Joined Mar 2, 2012
Interesting, not sure what AND gates are. Is it worth me researching them further if you said you are not sure if they will work? I guess I thought it would be fairly simple to have something be triggered when all switches are on.

I know the DPDT switches would work but thought there might be other solutions.

Anybody have a diagram or further info on a simple microcontroler that could accomplish this?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If you don't want to delve deeper into electronics, which would mean a week of experimenting for this project and benchtop supplies like a soldering iron, solder and perf-board, buying new switches would be the easiest choice.