Newbie Help!

sheffladreece

Joined Jan 22, 2014
I posted early last year if I remember correctly asking for help regarding a project (probably simple for alot of you guys) to enable me to control multiple motors individually from one control point with upto 30m radius, it is only necessary to turn the motors on for a timed interval and then in reverse at my chosen time.

When I previously asked about this project it seemed that the requirements I needed in terms of cost, size and operation could not be met sufficiently. However with the emergence of BLE technology I feel that utilising this would be more suitable for this specific task.

Therefore:

1. How would I re-program for say a BLE micro-chip/micro-board< not sure what they are called... to enable me to turn a simple motor on/off with a timed interval

2. How would I create a iOS application for my Iphone to control this BLE micro-chip

3. How would I link/connect the BLE micro-chip to the iOS or android device

Im guessing that this may seem fairly simple to you guys which in turn makes it even more complicated to me having little in the way of knowledge in regards to the development side of bluetooth, but I really want to get this project to work and I am willing to learn, but alot of the information I read doesn't help me becuase alot of the information already presumes that you have intermediate knowledge of working circuits and there components which is no help to someone with no pre-acquired knowledge.

Regards

Sheffladreece

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
How much programming experience in IOS/Andriod do you have? I had a quick look at BLE programming on Android a few months ago and it looked pretty horrendous.

Also it looks like "official" BLE modules are in the £20-£30 range, there are cheap knock0-offs on fleabay for a lot less but my experience with cheap standard bluethooth modules is mixed at best.

sheffladreece

Joined Jan 22, 2014
In regards to programming an android app I got as far as downloading the SDK kit and made an extremely simple test app... From stuff that I have read over the past month communication between BLE and android is still pretty poor however BLE seems to be much better through iOS route... In terms of cost I need to get close to <£5 per motor mark in order for the project to be beneficial to me.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Realistically it looks like you have got a mountain to climb in terms of programming and even then for a reliable solution it will be more than £5 unless you are buying significant volume. You not only need the BLE module at the motor but also an MCU, some MOSFETS to drive the motors and peripheral components and hardware

sheffladreece

Joined Jan 22, 2014
Shame, I was hoping that it would just be a cheapish BLE receiver module that would receive signals from a remote/iOS/Android app attached to a power supply of the motor and tell the power supply through coding to start sending power to the motor and it would be as simple as that.