Newbie component question - level measurer

ClaireS

Joined Jul 10, 2013
Hi there
I am COMPLETELY new at this
I want to know if there is a component that you can use to compare the level/height of 2 points. The component needs to be accurate within mm but does not need to give actual GPS height...
Also it should be cheap :)

Many thanks

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You almost fill the hose with water and place the two ends at the two different locations. You might have to pound posts into the ground to hold the ends up.
Measure from the water level to the ground at both ends and calculate the difference.

I did this on my house and found that the north west corner was 1 3/4 inches higher than the south east corner. Great way to figure out how to apply siding without coming up with a gap at one corner of the building.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't see how that produces an unambiguous result. Doesn't it require the ground to be at the same height at both ends? What am I missing?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The description I wrote in post #4 is a method to find the difference in height of the ground from one point to another. On my house, I measured from the water level to the first grout line between the concrete blocks to find the difference in height of the concrete slab.

For clarification, I'm using transparent tubing and calling it, "hose". The height of the water in the hose will be the same at both ends. It doesn't matter how many loops or curves there are, as long as no part in the middle of the hose is above the water level at the ends. At the ends, you want a few inches of air in the hose above the water level. The distance from the meniscus to the ground might be 20 inches at one location and 22 inches at the other location. You have just found that the difference in the altitude of the ground is 2 inches, and at which location the ground is higher by 2 inches.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The height of the water in the hose will be the same at both ends.
That's the key. You can establish a very accurate level over quite a long distance this way. I can't think of a more accurate method. And yes, a clear plastic tube is far better than a garden hose but most folks are more likely to have the latter.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
You only need a clear (vertical) bit of tubing at each end (actually just at the low end), the bulk of the hose can be any type. :)

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The hose trick is used in tanker vessels to adjust the trim to a certain value by transfering cargo between tanks and not going outside to read drafts on the ship's sides.

The marking is previously done with the vessel at different known conditions including that of "even keel".

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The Egyptians used the water level concept to lay the foundation for the pyramids. They would have loved having a nice long piece of Tygon tubing.

The water level and the plumb bob were probably in use long before the pyramids, and remain "the right tool for the job" to this day. Pretty amazing.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I used to work on auto-leveling lasers, and they were not as accurate as the water hose method! The lasers were guaranteed to 1/4 inch at 100 feet. The water hose method is accurate to as well as you can measure at unlimited distance. For me, that is tighter than 1/8th of an inch (3 mm) at several hundred feet.

The RB suggestion that you only need some clear tubing at one end also reveals a method. You set up the hose first, then fill it with water until it overflows at one end. Then measure the height of the overflowing hose end and compare that to the meniscus at the other end.

Fun conversation. I wonder if the OP will ever come back.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The water hose method is accurate to as well as you can measure at unlimited distance.
Well, sort of. It is sensitive to air pressure, so I imagine there is some potential error due to local barometric variations. Think wind and whatever causes airplane turbulence.

And over long distances, curvature of the earth comes into play. Are huge buildings built straight or level? Not the same thing. A laser "straight" floor of sufficient size would drain to the center, since the edges are farther away from the earth, ie. higher in elevation. One thing I'm sure of is that water flows downhill! The error could be as much as 3" or so for the largest buildings. Maybe it just gets lost in larger "noise" from other error sources.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
When you get a hose long enough to get into a different barometric pressure, be sure to take into account the number of time zones you have crossed.:D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Interesting point about, "laser level" causing a drain to the center. I can see that, but I haven't done the math for how large the footprint would have to be for, say, an inch of error from the curvature of the earth. It really makes me wonder if the pyramids are damp in the middle.:confused:

I tried doing a triangle with one side being 4000 miles and the hippopotamus being 4000 miles plus one inch. My calculator can't resolve things that small. Can you suggest a method?

Last edited:

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Interesting point about, "laser level" causing a drain to the center. I can see that, but I haven't done the math for how large the footprint would have to be for, say, an inch of error from the curvature of the earth. It really makes me wonder if the pyramids are damp in the middle.:confused:

I tried doing a triangle with one side being 4000 miles and the hippopotamus being 4000 miles plus one inch. My calculator can't resolve things that small. Can you suggest a method?
I don't know why you are using 4000 miles since the radius of the earth is less than that.
But anyways, 253440000 / 253440001 = 0.99999999605429294486153351932791 according to MS Windows calculator. And arctan (0.99999999605429294486153351932791) = 44.999999886963819049782710203113
or did you want arcsin (0.99999999605429294486153351932791) = 89.994910207826558570722955308271