Newbie 555 timer understading

Jemin Patel

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Hey everyone,
I am a newbie to electronics and I have seen a lot of schematics where people use 555 timer to drive bunch of leds. Why use 555 when the leds can be driven without it. Thanks in advance.

J

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've even seen the 555 used not to flash the LEDs or control brightness, but as a simple on/off switch in a night light.

It used the comparator section to read a light sensor and only turn the LED on in a dark room.

The 555 is quite a useful device with an incredible potential for many many uses.

Jemin Patel

Joined Feb 26, 2015
you can dim them using a 555 timer using Pwm.
Dodgydave,
Thanks for the reply. I guess what I was asking is that a variable resistor can dim the leds too so why go with a 555? You still need to use a variable resistor to dim even though you'd be using 555, right? Is using 555 for PWM more effecient?

Jemin Patel

Joined Feb 26, 2015
I've even seen the 555 used not to flash the LEDs or control brightness, but as a simple on/off switch in a night light.

It used the comparator section to read a light sensor and only turn the LED on in a dark room.

The 555 is quite a useful device with an incredible potential for many many uses.
Hi ErnieM,
Thanks for you reply as well. I am sorry if I sound like I am against using 555. I really am not. I am just trying to understand its implementation when it comes to simple circuits.

Thanks

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Using PWM to dim a 20mA LED is stupid, however...
That would depend on the application, would it not?

I once used PWM via a micro controller to control the brightness of a single LED. We sold them for about $30 a piece to someone who used them as cockpit lighting as incandescent replacements.

The trick was getting the brightness of a LED to mimic that of an incandescent over a 10 to 28V range. The other trick was getting the whole thing to fit into a metal barrel about the size of the eraser holder on a #2 pencil.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That would depend on the application, would it not?

I once used PWM via a micro controller to control the brightness of a single LED. We sold them for about $30 a piece to someone who used them as cockpit lighting as incandescent replacements.

The trick was getting the brightness of a LED to mimic that of an incandescent over a 10 to 28V range. The other trick was getting the whole thing to fit into a metal barrel about the size of the eraser holder on a #2 pencil.
I have several LEDs run off the dimmer bus in my Cessna. I was able to get the LEDs to match the incandescent dimming curve using a couple of diodes, a transistor and some resistors...