Newb needing some help. 12vdc police lights

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Spike240sx, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Spike240sx

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    I know its a pretty common project. But im looking at decking out a rc truck with police lights. Ive been looking through the forums and have found alot of usefull stuff. Everything ive found though is for 9VDC. Ill be running theese off of a 3 cell LI-Po battery. its max voltage is 12.5VDC with minimal voltage of 11.1. 500MAH capacity with a 20C-35C Discharge rate. So it has a max output of 17.5 amps @12Volts.

The project has 4 key compents,
    2 red/blue light bars w/10 LED's each
    Front headlights, 2 LED's each- white
    Rear taillights, 2 LED's Each- red

Each Light set Needs to have two alternating sequences.

Ive included basic layout of the sequences im looking for.
    The info i need help on is,
    componets- this is where i really lack in knowledge.
    Wiring Schematic
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Though you haven't provided links to the circuits you have looked at, my bet is any circuit of this type that will run on 9V will run on 12V with only slight modifications. That would minimize the need to reinvent this particular wheel. Do you have links to ones you know would do what you want...except for the 9V?

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    OK, the other thread was here...

and here is the last diagram...

Parts List
    D1,5 – White LED
    D2,4,6,8 – Yellow LED
    D3,7 – Red LED
    D9-16 – Blue LED
    CR1-15 – 1N4454 (any diode will do)
    U1 – LM555
    U2 – CD4017
    C1 – 100µF
    R1 – 10KΩ Variable
    R2-7 – 2.7KΩ ¼W
    R8,10 – 39Ω ¼W
    R9,11 – 100Ω ¼W
    R12-17 – 150Ω ¼W

This will work with the higher voltages with some minor adjustments on the parts.

Basically you need to draw out the top of your vehicle and decide where the lights are and what their colors are. Then figure out your flash sequence.

Did you understand the sequence diagram in the image? Your attachment didn't make it.
  4. Spike240sx

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    The sequence diagram didnt make much sense to me since its all blues with white and amber LED's. And the diagram you provided is configured for 16 LED's. My application has 28. I looked over that diagram the other day and it helped with a possible layout. And check my first post, everythime i view it, it shows my flash sequence i was looking for.
  5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You need to look at your first layout, it didn't make it. Is it possible you are pointing to an image on your hard disk? You need to use the "Go Advanced" function, the attach your images.

To do what you want you need to look at the sequence column on my diagram, there are 10 states, each lasting a short amount of time. There can be more, but it gets unreasonably complicated after that.

The colors you are refering to are the colors of the LED that is lit, along with its designation on the Y axis of the graph. This diagram is what is used to make the schematic, so it can't be skipped.

OK, I think I've figured out what you did on the post. You are using photobucket, did you notice the links? They post on a site like this as the image. Lets see if it works in my post.

Nope, you have a broken link there.

AAC also has an albums section, just like photobucket. Being local it is likely not to disappear abruptly, as it is under this sites control.