New to the forums: I have a question and maybe more in the future.

plc_user1973

Joined Apr 12, 2009
Hello gang, I am hoping I can get a clearer understanding about Electric Fields and Flux and by extension Magnetic Fields and Flux.

Intuitively, I am trying to apply the analogy of an actual wheat field to these physical phenomena. Disclaimer: I do understand that my analogy is very limited with respect to these phenomena.

I would like to compare electric and magnetic fields to fields of wheat. Each individual piece of wheat would represent a flux line. Thus, one straw of wheat is one flux line and infinite number of pieces of straw would be equal to the whole field. Flux density would be how much straw would appear per unit area.

Let me know if I am on the right track with my understanding using this analogy.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Yeah that's not bad as far as it goes.

You should however not link electric and magnetic fields too closely, they are different.

Thre is no equivalent of electric individual (isolated) charge in magnetics (+ve and negative).

The consequence of this is that magnetic field lines have to be closed. That is they must start at a North pole and end at a South pole.

Electric field line can emanate from a single isolated charge. They do not have to terminate anywhere.