New to the forum

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by XavierDri, Dec 25, 2012.

1. XavierDri

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Hi guys

As I did not find a new user introduction board I thought that I would post here to introduce my self. I found your forum quite by accident while looking for more info on the Colpitts oscillator, I'm a metal detector enthusiast and take great pleasure in building them my self. I have build both the PI and the VLF detectors I also do some PIC programming using FlowCode5 I have used it to build a pin-pointer and other devices.

All the best
    XavierDri

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Hello, welcome to AAC and merry Christmas!

Go here and here if you want to properly introduce yourself.

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Good to hear you like the site.
    If you have any questions, feel free to register and start asking.
    We will be happy to answer the questions.

There is also the eBook, see the tabs on the top of the page.
    The eBook can be downloaded using the PDF sign at the right top on the index page of a volume.
    Did you also look at the useful websites thread:
    Useful websites for electronics (Ver. 2)
    Or the RF related links thread:
    RF related links

Bertus

4. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Welcome o the forum. And you do bring up a good idea. Perhaps we should have a welcome forum. Maybe it could have the stickys in it for tips on posting questions.

5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    P.S. You might want to post in our Where are you from forum. Someone will place a pin on the map. You might be our first South African member. I don't seem to remember one.

6. XavierDri

Dec 25, 2012
    Sure will do that right away.

7. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Well I meant to write thread not forum. :) Sticky thread to be more exact.

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Welcome I'll give you a heads up so you'll feel like you've been here a while. Bill likes to talk about current politics and preferable wars and rebel uprisings. He's your man in the ME. GeoRacer's middle name is overunity. He was the first person to come up with the concept of coldfusion and was acutally in the news press release from university in the 80's showing it worked. Loosewire works for the CIA on a project trying to weaponize crustaceans. He currently got into trouble from PETA from his work so he's relocated to the Maldives with R@fii. Sparkys really 67 but likes to troll the tech forums for younger men to try to tell them he's a brazilian model and they should mail him free dev kits.. :) I'm just kidding. Read the TOS and you'll be fine. They frown on politics and overunity here though.

shortbus likes this.
  9. XavierDri

Dec 25, 2012
    LOL sound all to familiar to me. I'm a member and moderator on a metal detecting forum and we have the exact people that you just described. I was busy with a coil for a detector that would not cooperate with me for some simple reasons. One my cheap Chinese oscilloscope has a hangover and my home brew inductance meter seems to loose it's calibration (must be suffering from Alzheimer's) . Any way I ended up making a Colpitts oscillator and then used the PC scope to read the frequency and then work out the inductance of the coil. So now I'm looking to buy a decent yet not braking the bank oscilloscope. Any suggestions? (should have started a new thread on this one)

10. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    There was a thread a few months ago on someone looking for oscilloscope for school. Not sure what your specs would be, but you could do a thread search and see if it helps.

Welcome to the forum!

Georacer likes this.
  11. XavierDri

Dec 25, 2012
    Hi Justtrying

Thanks for the info, will have a look.

All the best
    Xavier

12. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I have no idea how much you have in the bank.

OWON SDS7102 is what I bought.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013