New to RF and need help finding suitable modules

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by mrjbones, Apr 25, 2011.

1. mrjbones

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Hi all,

I need a pair of modules (rx/tx) for a small personal project. The following are my constraints...

1) Range: Should be reliable outside in the open at 300 feet.
    2) Transmitter must be small. Preferably small enough to fit in a key fob.
    3) Receiver should also be small but there is a little more wiggle room.
    4) I'd prefer the receiver had an integrated antenna. No room for a long one at any rate.
    5) Multiple rx/tx pairs may need to operate in the same area. It doesn't have to be secure or anything; transmitting a 4 or 8 bit ID (set with dip switches on both the rx/tx, maybe) would probably suffice.
    6) Other than #5, the data that needs to be transmitted is very simple. I need to send a single pulse on any one of three channels at a time. Or any equivalent that will work (e.g. 2 bits serially.)
    7) I need to interface with a PICAXE 08M on the receiver side.
    8) I don't care much about frequency except that I need to abide by US laws and need a short antenna.
    9) I'll need to build a bunch of these eventually so the lower the cost, the better. Ideally, price for each module would be less than $10 (i.e. less than $20 for a rx/tx pair.)

Thanks for any recommendations, advice, pointers, or assistance of any kind that you can provide.

Kind regards,
    -j

2. mrjbones

Mar 26, 2011
    No help for the newb?

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Did you have a look at the xBee?
    They seem to reach 100 feet indoor and 300 feet outdoors.
    This PDF uses it in combination with a picaxe:
    http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe210.pdf

Bertus

4. radiohead

May 28, 2009
  5. mrjbones

Mar 26, 2011
    Bertus - Thanks. I think the xBee is probably overkill from the looks of it. I don't need a transceiver, for starters. Also looks a little larger than I'd like and a little more costly too. Definitely something good to know about for possible future projects though.

radiohead - Thanks for that link. Something there should do the trick.