new to programming-count down timer

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by pyottboy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. pyottboy

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    im new at coding pics, but i was wondering if someone could provide me with some help with coding a count down timer using a keypad to enter the time, then using 2 dual seven segment leds to display the count. i wanted to use one 16f84 for the keypad, then send that data to a second 16f84 that is connected to a 4 to 16 line decoder, however i am not sure about how to set up multiplexing or how to code the pic for the timer to work properly. any help would be appreciated

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi,

How are you at hardware? It does not seem as if you should need two PIC's to accomplish the project, unless PIC-to-PIC data transfer is part of it.

Post up your circuit and how you propose to do the tasks in outline form and perhaps we can give some help.

3. pyottboy

Feb 5, 2007
    so far, i have this: (havent learned all of the diagram software yet)

http://picrush.com/images/3043diagram.JPG

but im not sure if even the keypad part of this will work

and im good with electronics, but not microcontrollers

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Explore the concept of "internal counters" in your PIC. I believe there might be a couple present.

Could you elaborate on the multiplexer? I can't figure out what it's doing in there.

5. pyottboy

Feb 5, 2007
    the multiplexer is used to display the digits as the timer is counting down