New to forum(question)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by realreality, Feb 1, 2013.

1. realreality

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Hey guys.
    I've always been curious in eletronics but I just didn't know where to find info. So I came across this site and I don't know if it will help me. Anyway what I want to do is start creating my own gadgets. Is it possible to learn that here or should I move on to another site? Also, what will I learn, software or hardware? I'm more interested in hardware right now, but I will learn software coding too.

PS: I'm really interested in this, I don't really care if it takes long.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Welcome to AAC!

As long as you stick with the ToS (see bottom of page) you are cool. We are paranoid about safety, and have some automotive rules people find hard to swallow, but first and foremost this is a teaching site.

We also have an online text book. Volume VI has a lot of experiments for beginners and intermediate. I literally wrote the section on 555 timers (a very common IC).

We do not allow trolling or flaming, you can ask all the questions you like, dumb or not. No one is born knowing this stuff. If someone offends or is offensive do not respond just use the little red triangle [​IMG] in the upper right hand corner and report it to the moderation staff, we'll take it from there.

Have fun!

3. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Welcome to the forum!

this place is a great place to learn, and welcomes new beginner members
    I'd definitely advise sticking around! :)

gadgets is a big term, did you have a project in mind?

EDIT
    dangit bill, beat me too it :p

4. realreality

Feb 1, 2013
    Just a calculator would prove me I could design hardware and software in one thing

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    That's why I hit enter early and edited after, I knew I was in a race.

To the OP (original poster): A calculator is a bit ambitious, you may want to work your way up to it. Basically you have to learn Boolean algebra and digital logic, and it will never be as good as what comes out on a single chip with thousands of gates nowdays.

Our The Completed Projects Collection forum has a lot of pretested designs. I have taken the job of maintaining it too. Be sure to read the rules on top of each forum for each forum.

6. realreality

Feb 1, 2013
    Alright thanks

7. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    if you're wanting a simple start point mixing hardware and software, i'd reccomend doing something with an arduino microcontroller

they're really easy to work with, and really easy to interface with
    perhaps a clock?
    My mind always jumps to clocks, i like them, as most who know me on the forum can tell you.

A calculator would be pretty easy with an arduino too
    I would suggest you start by doing some research on arduino microcontrollers or micro controllers in general

8. realreality

Feb 1, 2013
    Ok. How are the boards called (empty boards not development boards)? Also, can I order them online?

9. realreality

Feb 1, 2013
  10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    They are everywhere. I have one in the closet I have never powered up. PICs are another brand that is popular, they are used by industries a lot, as well as entrepreneurs. They can be very inexpensive.

TI is getting into the picture too.

Then there is a Raspberry PI, a very small complete computer on a chip, very cheap, very powerful. Definitely worth your time to research.

11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It is a simple 6V lantern battery. I buy D cell adapters myself, they are a bit cheaper to feed.

BTW, you are here in a good time of day, it usually takes hours to get a reply.

12. realreality

Feb 1, 2013
    So, for software I should start learning machine code and for hardware the VOL. above. Am I correct?

13. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Every processor is different, you have to learn the coding it requires. Most of them have C compilers or something close, so it is not as hard as it sounds.